Thread: scarlet :: 2016 Nissan Micra S (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    scarlet
    Nissan
    Micra S
    Red alert
    manual

Engine serial number with last letter L

Modifications

1) Mesh protection on lower grill opening
    2) Upper grill blocking - Interior blocking using closed cell foam - tested using OBD-II on this insanely hot day in Ottawa.

Ordered clear paint protection film http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400400956116

red/black seat covers ordered
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121976908929 , totalled ~$50 with shipping and customs from california. Came with a steering wheel cover. Apparently seat air bag compatible. Zippers on the back bench seat for the 60/40.

cold tire pressure at 40psi

•  
    Comments: 8 / Views: 10286
    Thanks
    Very nice red 2016, welcome. Interesting top grill blocking material.

Thanks
    Thanks. The foam is a 'core-cell' structural foam left over from a boat build, which I first painted black. It formed and holds really well with just the cable ties and the plastic washers (made from plastic packaging with scissors and a hand drill) on the inside.

I am surprised 'how much' and how fast the coolant temperature varies when driving. Temperature decreasing when cruising at a constant speed and increasing at stop lights and in acceleration. The fan (coolant at ~ 97C) did come on at one point when idling at a stop light in Kanata. I am still monitoring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra S manual: 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.5 mpg (Imp) ... 16.8 km/L ... 39.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Do you have a temperature guage on yours? The 2015's don't. I miss that from my old cars.
    So the reason you've put in the foam material versus the mesh as on your lower grill, is to restrict air flow? I can see doing in winter months, but in summer for sure the fan would come on to try and cool it down. Sorry, I'm one of the few 'girl's' on the forum! Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi Wynter, No, no temp gauge on the 2016. I'm using a bluetooth ODB-II interface device that I've used in the past to read and fix service engine codes (to pass the clean air test). My android tablet has an app called 'torque' that when connected displays all kinds of real-time data from the car.

My motivation is to improve fuel economy (reduce drag) as I was quite impressed with the tests MetroMPG undertook to reduce drag. What a weekend to block your front grill...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra S manual: 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.5 mpg (Imp) ... 16.8 km/L ... 39.5 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grant For This Useful Post:

Wynter (05-30-2016)

Thanks
    Grant, belated welcome to the forum!

I'm happy you saw the results of the fuel economy tests on the Micra S last summer.

(FYI for others: Experiment: 7 aero mods + tire PSI = 10% better fuel consumption at 90 km/h )

Yeah, the heat was crazy recently. You could probably block the rest of the grille this week.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey Darin,
    I was looking at blocking the front lower left of the lower grille (behind the my protective steel mesh, where there is no rad), but I noticed that there is a mounted plastic deflector clearly designed to push air through a hole in the bumper mount and under the car. So I passed. Is this new on the 2016?

I'm enjoying looking at the inst. fuel consumption display. It is certainly changing my driving habits!!

Grant

Thanks
    I can't picture the deflector you're talking about, but that doesn't mean it's not on the 2015 too.

For sure, instant + resettable trip average fuel consumption displays together are excellent if economy is your interest/goal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I ended up adding the foam block to that part of the lower grill on the weekend. Its got to be better than having the air deflected inside the car. I'll have to see about removing that plastic part later.

I do seem to be interested in fuel economy and the efficiency of this new car