Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EV discussion: Spark, Leaf, Volt...

Thanks

EV discussion: Spark, Leaf, Volt...

I seriously doubt the sub-10k Spark will have that nice of an interior. One smart thing GM is doing with this car is offering an all-electric version of it for sale to everyone in this model year:

http://www.wheels.ca/news/chevrolet-...-ev-in-canada/

As long as it doesn't feature the typical Mr. Goodwrench BS with too many overpriced dealer-only maintenance parts, this may be a viable car for my wife.

--------------

Admin note: this EV discussion was originally part of this thread: GM fights back: $9995 2016 Chevrolet Spark Canada's cheapest new car

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That being said, I guess your wife isnt getting one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    "GM-built motor and drive unit deliver 327 lb/ft of instant torque, enabling a 0-97 km/h (0-60 mph) time of 7.2 seconds

When fully charged, Spark EV features a combined city/highway estimated range of 131 km and an estimated city/highway fuel consumption equivalent of 2.0 Le/100kms.

Three available levels of recharging capability include the industry’s first use of the recently approved SAE combo charger for DC fast charging, which charges 80 percent of the battery in just 20 minutes.

."

wow, this is really respectable for the chevy EV...assuming they price it right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    That being said, I guess your wife isnt getting one?
    The only dealer-only maintenance part I can conceive of with this car would be the batteries, and if that's the case and they have the typical Mr. Goodwrench 400-600% inflation, then probably not.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Looks like it's $26,000 minus a $7500 tax credit, so not terrible...http://www.plugincars.com/chevrolet-spark-ev

Thanks
    Actually that price discount makes it something I might actually consider in the future. The only reason why I snubbed the volt was its price tag. 20k for an electric car isnt that bad. And the range is ok.

But that article says that the warranty on the pack is 100000 miles or 8 years. Thats worth considering too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    you know, honestly at this point, if you can make the range work (and i know that's a big if), then an EV is one of the best cars you can go with.

....just avoid the Miev at all costs. It is the Mirage of EVs!

Thanks
    My wife is very interested in this car now, as all of her driving is well within that range. In fact, I doubt the engine is even warmed up by the time she gets to work, so it makes sense. She really likes the idea of the convenience of never needing to go to a gas station. I like the idea that it's a bit of a sleeper that would embarrass a lot of other bigger vehicles on the road, with performance that would not be affected by things like altitude, temperature, or humidity. Admittedly, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds isn't exactly performance car, but then again, it doesn't need to be.

Maybe I could get past the GM stigma...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    My wife is very interested in this car now, as all of her driving is well within that range. In fact, I doubt the engine is even warmed up by the time she gets to work, so it makes sense. She really likes the idea of the convenience of never needing to go to a gas station. I like the idea that it's a bit of a sleeper that would embarrass a lot of other bigger vehicles on the road, with performance that would not be affected by things like altitude, temperature, or humidity. Admittedly, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds isn't exactly performance car, but then again, it doesn't need to be.

Maybe I could get past the GM stigma...
    would you guys ever consider the volt? if that's too much money, maybe a used volt?

my only worry with a car with only 100 miles range is, when winter affects battery + extra a/c heating + hills.

Thanks
    I read somewhere on the net that most hybrid buyers do not buy hybrid again. For me its not the car and what it can or can't do, it's the battery. I just can't get my head around owning a car with a battery that is going to have to be replaced at some time during its ownership. As much as I don't like leasing that would be the only choice I would consider when looking at hybrid cars.