Thread: What exactly am I paying my dealership 209.85 for [16K service]?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

What exactly am I paying my dealership 209.85 for [16K service]?

8K service complete 6 months ago and only did the oil change as I just had new tires put on so I didn’t need the rotation plus I had a coupon the oil so it was cheap.

16K service is due this month and its 210 plus tax. The pamphlet they gave me says:
    -Lube, oil and filter change (what are they lubing?)
    -Maintenance 1 inspection by Nissan trained technicians
    -Fuel system service (what the hell is this?)
    -Brake maintenance service (again, what does this include)
    -Tire rotation (not needed as I just swapped from winter to summer again)
    -Battery inspection (battery still there? Yup, all is well)

Doesn’t look like its worth the money and I would either like to do it myself or ask my mechanic to do it but if I do I need to know what to ask him to do.

However what is involved with the inspection and maintenance items? I have looked online and could only find what’s on the Nissan website which says to change brake fluid but when I asked the dealership about this they said they do not do this every 16k like online says.

I have also been looking for a log book and not found one online or in the car (my sentra came with one as part of the owners manual). It had a check list of things that needed to be done at different intervals, both times and KM.

Anyone have any information for me regarding these items?

Also, I am asking because this is my first new car and I want to take care of it but don’t want to spend 210 bucks on what essentially looks like an oil change.

Thanks,

NUBS

Thanks
    Oil change 70 bucks, battery test 36 bucks, rotate 36 bucks, fuel system service 80-100 bucks, brake service they clean and lubricate your slides, check for wear and do an inspection 120, if your fluid flush was included, ever better, after about 12000km. Your fluid will start to develope moisture in it. So far from what i read, your dealership is giving you a great deal, and you have zero reason to be complaining. If you have any questions about your services you can message me. I work at a nissan and would be happy to help.
    SMUTT155

Thanks
    I remember doing some of these things in high school auto shop a long time ago!

Fuel injector check and cleaning, used the grease gun to lube the nipples on the chassis, did rad flush, tested the fluid, brake fluid checks, and of course remove the tires to check wear on brake pads and rotors for damage.

I'd think most of this is done with your service. I inspect the belts for wear and cracks as my serpentine belt in my toyota was changed 2 times, in 16 years though. I clean the corrosion off the battery terminals to keep good contact. And I used tub and tile caulk on my toyota to seal a leaky windshield. Yes, true! lol

Labor is costly.

There is a 'service and maintenance guide' book that came with the owners manual and warranty book.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NUBNUB View Post

16K service is due this month and its 210 plus tax. The pamphlet they gave me says:
    -Lube, oil and filter change (what are they lubing?)
    -Maintenance 1 inspection by Nissan trained technicians
    -Fuel system service (what the hell is this?)
    -Brake maintenance service (again, what does this include)
    -Tire rotation (not needed as I just swapped from winter to summer again)
    -Battery inspection (battery still there? Yup, all is well)

NUBS
    1) Normal, about $50 lubing can be door hinges, hood latch, bearclaws on doors, steering linkage, etc...
    2) Bullcrap..
    3) Bullcrap. Funny. That isn't on the service schedule anywhere. Oh that's right. All canadian fuels have detergents and anti-icing agents in them to prevent this in the first place.
    4) Plausible. The service schedule does say to inspect the brakes and replace fluid. I did neither. Replacing the fluid.. Well. Hmm. The brake system is supposed to be a sealed hydraulic system. Unless youve opened the cap or have a leak, I have doubts you would see much moisture in the system at this point.
    5) Yes. That is on the schedule but you don't need it.
    6) This one is a toughie. They can load test the battery which will give an indicator if its health (so to speak).. But its probably not worth it if you didnt have any issues in the winter..

Source: http://www.nissan.ca/en/owners/index...schedules.html

So is it all crap. Well. That depends on the driver. For the driver that has no technical ability or puts gas in the car and drives it and nothing else, the reccomended schedule is what I would suggest. The remainder varies, depending on you.

For example- I am completely capable of popping the wheels off myself and doing the rotation myself. I have the advantage of having access to jackstands, so I can check the axles and suspension bits, the brakes and cables, the cv boots, exhaust, suspension, ball joints, steering linkage, and I can put air into the tires myself. - That doesnt mean the next guy (or girl) can and thats what these services are geared toward.
    Last edited by Howie; 04-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just noticed the image i screenshotted might be a little small.

Now remember. At a dealership, it's not the sales of cars that keep the place running. Its usually the service department that keeps it afloat.

Im surprised they didn't recommend you change out the cabin air filter like mine did because it looked dirty... Of course to a generous offer of $69.99. I laughed this off, knowing mine didn't have one installed to begin with like most people.
    Last edited by Howie; 04-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SMUTT155 View Post
    Oil change 70 bucks, battery test 36 bucks, rotate 36 bucks, fuel system service 80-100 bucks, brake service they clean and lubricate your slides, check for wear and do an inspection 120, if your fluid flush was included, ever better, after about 12000km. Your fluid will start to develope moisture in it. So far from what i read, your dealership is giving you a great deal, and you have zero reason to be complaining. If you have any questions about your services you can message me. I work at a nissan and would be happy to help.
    So what is your process for the 'fuel system service'? I prefer not to PM as I would like others here to learn as well. You can be technical if you want I have done the plugs on my sentra which was not an easy job compared to my old Mazda so I know my way around tools and such.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. I want to keep discussing this for those interested.

Thanks
    Im sure that many can attest, changing plugs on a fully kitted out hr16 is a bit of an adventure as the intake manifold has to come off. I believe the sentra is similar.

Im also curious. Now that im a little less cranky.... Maybe a fuel filter change, and a fuel injector cleaner?

Thanks
    If you are able to lift your car at home to rotate tires most of these inspections can be done at no cost to you. The fee to check the battery will buy you a couple of battery testers at any auto shop. $20 buys a battery tester that inserts into your cig lighter. $50 buys a battery tester that loads and tests your battery. These cars don't have grease fittings and most fluid levels are visually apparent. If in doubt go to a local garage and ask what it would cost to have this stuff done. Stealerships are just that stealerships.