Thread: My oil change schedule, or theirs?

Thanks

My oil change schedule, or theirs?

My dear old dad used to tell me to change my oil every six months.

The new Micra maintenance schedule seems to be based on miles and not time.

However, I can't get my dad's words out of my mind.

I'm going away for a month. Change the oil now, or when I get back.... I still won't be up to the mileage that the little sticker on my windshield says.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My sixth-month service is due and I'm going in for it, even though I only have 3k on the odo. I figure the first one is OK to do a little earlier anyhow, and the dealer threw it in for free when I bought the car. Afterwards I'll be doing my own after every 6k.
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    2017 micra, dealer sets the oil change every 8 k or 6months. 10 weeks in and my 8k is already up.

My dad is stuck with the idea that oil changes are every 5k, which I have been doing since always. But as long as this car is on warranty, 8k, off warranty i'll probably revert to 5k.
    Last edited by polarbe4r; 06-26-2017 at 09:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Micra SV manual: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My was car was sitting on the lot for 60 days when I bought it. Because of time I am going to be changing the oil in 4 months from now because of time. I'm not waiting for the dealers time, it's my time.

Thanks
    Good range of opinions, thanks.

I'm going on 3 years now with this car, but low mileage. I didn't do the oil yet (last done in November) as it turns out I am not taking the long trip I thought I would (am flying instead) --- but will take it in soon for a fuller service. However, I did have my tires checked at the gas station and they dropped from 33 to 25 since last November. I thought the ride was bumpier.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    Good range of opinions, thanks.

I'm going on 3 years now with this car, but low mileage. I didn't do the oil yet (last done in November) as it turns out I am not taking the long trip I thought I would (am flying instead) --- but will take it in soon for a fuller service. However, I did have my tires checked at the gas station and they dropped from 33 to 25 since last November. I thought the ride was bumpier.....
    It goes by mileage or time, whichever comes first. Since that I'm the only one that drives my car and I know when everything needs to be done, when etc. it gets done at the time required. The temps where I live can change very quickly, especially in winter. I check my tires every two weeks(when I fill the tank) or less.

Thanks
    I don't think either of those are strict guidelines by any means. I change the oil in all of my vehicles based on a number of factors including time, mileage, color and oil level. Just keep an eye on it and you'll get an idea of what works for each vehicle pending on how much you drive it, how far and how long it sits stagnant. However, we have 3 vehicles in the driveway for two of us and I've been doing all of my own maintenance for the last 5-6 years. Keeping an eye on your spark plugs each oil change also gives you a good idea of overall engine health. Seems like it will be a PITA to check on our Micras though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    I don't think either of those are strict guidelines by any means. I change the oil in all of my vehicles based on a number of factors including time, mileage, color and oil level. Just keep an eye on it and you'll get an idea of what works for each vehicle pending on how much you drive it, how far and how long it sits stagnant. However, we have 3 vehicles in the driveway for two of us and I've been doing all of my own maintenance for the last 5-6 years. Keeping an eye on your spark plugs each oil change also gives you a good idea of overall engine health. Seems like it will be a PITA to check on our Micras though.
    Hopefully by the time our plugs have to be changed, someone might have already gone through the process and made it easier later for us.

The 8k or 6 month is based on standard operating conditions.
    Extreme heat, cold, dirty air or any other harsh operating conditions you should use a higher spec oil and filter and make your O.C.I oil change interval as you see fit based on oil quality.
    Most oils even high grade ( unless specifically stated ) can sit in an engine, being used or not for 6 months give or take. The detergents ( synthetic ) or the oil ( conventional) begin to break down rapidly.

6 months comes before 8,000km or 8,000km comes before 6months

Knowing this, and your average Km's you can predict your maintenance and if your diy, stock pile supplies when on sale.

I just grabbed 2 years or so of oil for $100 and it's good synthetic stuff to. Grabbed 2 filters for the price of 1, now I just need 4 more, waiting for a sale

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...