Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicle Enthusiasts

Thanks

Electric Vehicle Enthusiasts

I was pretty surprised to learn MetroMPG was the "Forkenswift" guy. A genuine celebrity in the Canada EV scene. You should check out his videos!

I rode a ridiculous electric bike to work in the spring fall and summer(about 40km round trip) for almost six years. I rode from Danforth ave and Woodbine to Steels /Kennedy in rush hour traffic.

The bike (with a tailwind) would do A touch over 60km/h...which on a bicycle...is stupidly fast. It was definitely an adrenaline rush. Maybe some Toronto residents remember seeing me and said to themselves "Look at that idiot!"

That idiot was me.

I have since retired the "ELEC-TREK FRANKENSTEIN", much to members of my families relief.
    I built it from kit parts. I drive a car like a grown up now. I ride a pedal bike to keep in shape, but still keep an eye out for interesting developments in EV tech.

Anybody else have an EV experience?
    Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  45.1 KB
    The "ELEC-TREK FRANKENSTEIN"

Last edited by Moose; 02-27-2016 at 04:49 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (02-27-2016),MetroMPG (03-03-2016),Pete (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    I have been driving lift trucks for 35 years.My first electric lift truck was a 1968 Clarke with no power steering. It had to be plugged in on your breaks and lunches in order to have enough power to make it through your shift. Over the years I've had propane power trucks and even diesel outdoor trucks but today's modern electric trucks are amazing. My current weapon is a 2015 Toyota. Unless I'm am doing a lot of high heavy stuff I can get two days out of a single battery. We don't plug in our trucks on breaks anymore they just switch them with a machine that has a big electromagnet on it. The software in the truck allows you to adjust many things to your preferred settings such as top speed , acceleration ,lift speed , coast distance , alarms off/on and more. The advancement of these machines over my career has been really good and made my work much easier and comfortable compared to the old 1968 Clark.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

Moose (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Yep electric is the future for machinery as well as cars i guess. I saw a guy who electrified a bobcat to work inside cleanup on the Vaughn mall when it was built. Pretty cool...no pollution indoors.

Is that induction charging with the magnet?
    I'm guessing they still use lead acid batteries partly as ballast on your new electric lift trucks?

I got my ticket for Diesel and Propane, but we don't have an electric truck where i work

Thanks
    Yeah lead acid batteries 48 volt.The magnet pulls the battery out of the truck onto roller on a cart. Then we put a charged one in it only takes like two minutes and uou have a freshly charged battery. I will take a few pics of our battery changing operation on Monday and post them on this thread.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (02-27-2016),Moose (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah lead acid batteries 48 volt.The magnet pulls the battery out of the truck onto roller on a cart. Then we put a charged one in it only takes like two minutes and uou have a freshly charged battery. I will take a few pics of our battery changing operation on Monday and post them on this thread.
    Yes i would like to see that and the truck too. Thanks Pete.

Thanks
    Yep. We have a few e-gators at work in more intrinsically sensitive areas. They work quite well. They don't go fast but they last for an hour or two around the shop if you drive it constantly, but if you are just zipping from point a to point b they can last a day or two.

https://www.deere.ca/en_US/products/...electric.page?

One thing I dabbled in was hydrogen production. The only thing I managed to do was create a lot of bubbles that would go pop and boom, but it had some potential I guess.

With Li-ion, and me being a vaper (Able to get high drain 18650 and 28650 batteries) Ive considered creating a rechargable pack for an e bike.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Moose (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    For all things e-bike I use this forum... Lots of battery pack building info
    https://endless-sphere.com/forums/

Thanks
    Yeah the only pic I have of the truck on my phone is this lol
    I will take another one Monday as well as some electric driverless trains that we use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

Moose (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Oh Pete... this reminds me. The MFRC has Pete's hoodies for sale here if youre in my area.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Pete (02-27-2016)

Thanks
    Sometimes, I drive an electric scissor lift at work. That and the 2010/2011 Leaf are the only electric vehicles I've driven.

I prefer the handling of the leaf, but at the same time prefer the utility of the scissor lift.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Moose (03-03-2016)