Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What next?

Thanks

What next?

Some of you have indicated that you plan on selling or getting rid of your Micra. I'm curious to know, what will you buy next, and why?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I originally was wanting to get rid of mine. But due to the fact that I still owe a fair amount on mine, combined with the depreciation of my micra it's not possible. And with dealers starting to know about the engine issues some micra's have, it has depreciated more. (Well, not really but that's the excuse of course, anything to increase profit margin). Mine has a minor collision which would require the AC to be repaired so that drops the value even more as its a reconditioning cost.

TLDR, I would have such a large loan amount left over, it just isn't financially viable to get rid of it without paying through the nose.

Now that being said, some of the cars I was looking at to replace it with were: (And in brackets why they didnt suit the bill)

-Chevy Sonic (Impossible to find base models in 2016, and only 4 passengers, still a daewoo, and now a vauxhall still not reliable)
    -Mitsubishi Mirage (Gutless and very cheap feeling, smaller trunk, but great warranty)
    -Hyundai Accent (Only one model is cheap, and hard to find the base model. (13,899 to start)

I guess really the only 5 passenger car out there that is under 10k to start, is the micra, and the mirage. And I just cant get over how gutless the mirage is. 401 runs in the micra are pleasant. Its no supercar, but it merges well enough without sweating too much. The mirage is downright frightening. It' litterally screaming its just out to get up to speed.

So for now I think I will upgrade the little micra. I've removed the broken A/c condensor, and will be adding some of Metro's legendary wood/hybrid cooling seat covers. Im going to add the rallyart mudflaps and maybe some window tint,, rims and such.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (02-23-2016)

Thanks
    Every mirage and spark I see on the road and I see a lot of them,forces me to take the same coarse of action every time.. complete and total inialation no matter how they are being driven. Why? Because I can. For someone in their fiftieth year is this childish of me?...yes but I can't help it. The Micra is superior.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    I don't see anything good in the same price. the last good small car GM does is the mighty Chevette and the chainsaw engine of the mirage doesn'T fit my needs! if I change I probably rebuilt a toyota echo, I have one and it's a tank. nothing new interrest my ....for now maybe a challenger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    mirage is downright frightening.
    Oh, come on now! 2 seconds more from 0-60 makes a car downright frightening?

I will admit that's a pet peeve of mine: people who declare cars "downright frightening" because they're below average in power:weight. Wah, wah.

This coming from a guy who drives a Firefly with ~50 hp and about 15 seconds to 60 mph. It's acceptable. I've never had a "scary" experience in a decade of driving the thing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Perhaps the freightning part for howie is the fact that everything is buzzing and vibrating and screaming to the point he has to wonder..."is she breaking up" and not necessarily the lack of acceleration

Thanks
    He needs to drive my Firefly then. 'Cause a Mirage is downright refined by comparison!

(Which isn't saying much.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Oh, come on now! 2 seconds more from 0-60 makes a car downright frightening?

I will admit that's a pet peeve of mine: people who declare cars "downright frightening" because they're below average in power:weight. Wah, wah.

This coming from a guy who drives a Firefly with ~50 hp and about 15 seconds to 60 mph. It's acceptable. I've never had a "scary" experience in a decade of driving the thing!

No no.. This is coming from a guy who would -willingly- drive a honda CBR125r (125cc, 13hp, top speed 100kphe, 240lb rider) down the 401. I know underpowered. And I know scary.

I had a Suzuki Swift. And that good sir might have only had 50hp, but it was refined, well balanced, predictable and simple. Push the throttle down and you know how its going to react. It was always an eager performer.

The mirage is like drawing from the center of the deck. You stomp it and pray that it agrees and pushes on with everything it has. It debates the fact you poked the floorboards and muses on its way, lane changes make it tilt like a motorcycle even though its moving in a relatively straight line. The acres of plastic remind you that your efforts to merge aren't wanted. It shakes and hums, and vibrates with the tenacity of a ladies plaything on it's last legs.

Driving in traffic is much less pleasant. The brakes perform well if nothing else, and its a case of nothing else. Steering is as much of a guess as the throttle and the car is bat around so much in the drraft of trucks that it might be a great hypermiler if it werent for the rumble strips on the sides causing mirrors to fall off.

This is why I say, scary. The metro was fun, fuel efficient, decently built, and reliable. This thing feels, sounds and acts like it was made from wood glue and baseball cards. Downright frigtening when you consider its the same price as a micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (02-23-2016)

Thanks
    Not going to defend the Mirage on those additional points: the steering IS horrible -- probably the numbest with the least feedback I've ever driven. Its all-plastic interior is equally as depressing as the "any colour you like as long as it's black" Micra's. The suspension wallows like a North Sea Trawler because, unlike the Micra, they didn't firm up its soft "world car" suspension for the North American market. (Though they supposedly have for this year. And you could fix the body roll issue with an aftermarket sway bar.)

But! Your original comment was (or sure seemed) aimed squarely at the power issue which remains a pet peeve of mine.

I was equally ticked off when one (only one) reviewer called the Micra scary slow. SERIOUSLY? Even 10 seconds to 100 kph isn't fast enough? Considering cars were dramatically slower in the past AND we had higher speed limits back then, statements like that are silly. Are really people such bad drivers these days that they can't compensate? Don't answer that!

---

Back to the original question...

I'd look at the new Yaris sedan, which is actually a rebadged Mazda 2 that Mazda announced and then cancelled for Canada. Supposedly it's very enjoyable to drive, and has above average efficiency. Unfortunately (1) a face only a mother could love; and (2) there's no hatchback option ... yet. However, possibly the new Yaris hatchback will also be a Mazda 2.

Thanks
    Oh I can agree with you. The new yaris (mazda2) is hideous, and it shows that it really isnt a toyota. It doesnt fit into the family tree. But just about all the mazda's I've ever driven have been a hoot to drive and reasonably priced.

Now if sedans count...

I would go with another member of the mitsubishi stable.. I also took one of these for a boot.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/...m/lancer/2015/

Let me tell you. Complete opposite to the Mirage. For roughly 2k more, (msrp without discounts) this sucker is a well put together little rig. Of course were talking the base model, once you start putting options into it, the price goes up quickly. But for a base model, this is my "top contender" even if it is a quite a bit more money.

Last edited by Howie; 02-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.