Thread: Bigger, "better" used car instead of a new Micra? Think again.

Thanks

Bigger, "better" used car instead of a new Micra? Think again.

Some people have mentioned that they believe it's better to buy a used car instead of a new Micra. Having gone through this a decade ago, I share my observations as to why this belief is absurd.

http://mymicra.com/?p=179

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Good points.

You know, I was surprised to see Nissan is actually promoting the Micra as an alternative to a used car. I've never seen a car company do that before.

That said, I'm on the other side of the fence: I've never bought a new car, and likely never will. (I get excited when certain new cars come out because I think: "oooh, in 4 or 5 years that'll be one to consider!" )

But I do almost all my own repairs & maintenance work, so I'm probably more comfortable than the typical person with the idea of inspecting a used vehicle before pulling the trigger. I rarely get hit with expensive repair bills.

That's a minority situation though. Most people given the choice will take the worry-free route. A base Micra will look mighty appealing... aside from the fact that nobody drives stick anymore!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    MetroMPG,when you buy a car like a Metro or a Micra 4 or 5 years used, I think you've found the point of greatest savings. My argument was for the people suggesting we buy a bigger, "Better" used car in lieu of a new Micra. My first Micra was 5 years old when I bought it for around $2500 certified; everything else in that price range was worn out rusted junk. Probably a similar story for the Metro's of the day.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Oooh - right! Gotcha. (I'll add that distinction to the thread title.)

Yeah, I never understood that logic either. Some reviewers & commenters have been saying that about the Mirage too: why not just buy a used Accord or ... etc.

Almost everything on the "bigger, better" used car costs more to maintain/fix than the new small car (with a warranty).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    29% of all private sale ads are curb-siders? Sheesh, why go through the stress and risk? Just buy a new Micra.