Thread: She's cold hearted. (engine doesn't warm up idling in winter)

Thanks

She's cold hearted. (engine doesn't warm up idling in winter)

I just want to see if anyone else noticed what I do.

My old cars if you go out in the winter about 20-30 min ahead, by the time you get into the car its toasty warm..
    On this car it seems to be lukewarm at best, barely enough to clear the windows, regardless of how long it idles. Then once you drive for a half km, then it really starts belting out the heat.

So I made myself up a winter block and have the bottom 2/3 of the rad blocked off. I have tons more heat, but again, only after moving the car.

Anyone else have this issue or is it just my observation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Idle is enough R.P.M. to generate heat to warm the engine but it takes more gas and revs than idle to make the coolant get hot with our current thermostat. You can block off the whole rad and it won't change this but a different thermostat will.

Thanks
    Also, the Micra is considerably more efficient at idle than older cars:

Above: at idle, the system enables an Atkinson-cycle approach by delaying closure of the intake valves to reduce compression load. The Atkinson-cycle allows more expansion than compression to improve heat efficiency.
    More efficient = less waste heat, which unfortunately means less for the heater.

From thread: Continuously variable valve timing (CVTC) on Micra 1.6L HR16DE

Some 3-cylinder, small diesel & Atkinson engine (eg. hybrid) owners report their engines can actually COOL DOWN below normal operating temperature while idling at stoplights, etc. in the dead of winter. (Talking -15 and below.)

---

Another thought: I'd avoid running the heater blower until you actually get in the car. Otherwise you keep sucking lukewarm heat out of the system, cooling it down. Wait until you get in, and there will be more heat in the engine/coolant which you can then blast... and even more available shortly because you're about to start driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ah, now I have more of an understanding of it.The CVTC makes sense. I was figuring it had something to do with the block type and design.

The block is out, as Pete predicted it didn't make that much of a difference to be worth it.

The problem I have is on heavy frost days where you don't really have the option of driving. So you can scrape the interior of the windows off then drive a little. :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ah, yeah, that's a pain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    And tonight.. -25'c, no heat for at least the first 10km, even with a 25 minute driveway idle.

Adapted for life in canada, huh..

Riight..

Thanks
    12v heater here:

http://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-1224...12v+car+heater