Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 speed Versa Note - testing the same drivetrain as Micra (test drive review)

Thanks

5 speed Versa Note - testing the same drivetrain as Micra (test drive review)

I've got a Micra itch to scratch, and I missed last Thursday's dealership event when the Micra came to visit...so I took my family down to the dealership to take a 5 speed Note out for a spin; given that it has the same engine, transmission, and many interior details as the Micra, it seemed a logical way to spend a Saturday morning.

I'm used to driving a Grand Am GT with a 3.4L V6. While the Note didn't have the launch power nor the long legs I was accustomed to, it was thoroughly enjoyable and managed to bring a smile to my face when I let it wind out.

The engine was smooth and quiet with a surprisingly flat power band and a smooth shifting 5 speed transmission. Shifting was so smooth, I didn't need to use the clutch shifting from 3-4 or 4-5; I rev-matched and the shifter moved easily into the appropriate gears. Downshifting was equally smooth and predictable.

At highway speeds, I'm used to my V6 loafing at around 2000 RPM, but in the Note, it was 3000 RPM and up. However, much to my surprise, the car remained quiet and composed even as I took it up to the hammer lane speeds; without the tach, I might have assumed the engine was turning much lower than it was. The Note held its own on the highway very nicely.

Cornering and braking were predictable and strong, providing me with confidence. While not quite the G-force inducing cornering I enjoyed in the Grand Am GT, I could still push the corners pretty hard without much drama.

If the Note is any indication, I expect the Micra, with its lighter weight and stabilizer bars, to be a complete riot to drive. I liked the Note, so I believe I'm going to love driving the Micra.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-29-2014)

Thanks
    Good idea. If my town had a Nissan dealer, I would have done this already.

I hear you on the gearing issue: we need to start a petition to get Nissan to offer a taller 5th. I haven't done any research yet, but often there are swappable options from other models. EG: the Juke turbo uses the 1.6, so presumably the transmission is also shared. It might have a taller 5th or final drive ratio since it's got more torque...

Are you sure the Note doesn't already have f/r stabilizer bars too?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Good idea. If my town had a Nissan dealer, I would have done this already.

I hear you on the gearing issue: we need to start a petition to get Nissan to offer a taller 5th. I haven't done any research yet, but often there are swappable options from other models. EG: the Juke turbo uses the 1.6, so presumably the transmission is also shared. It might have a taller 5th or final drive ratio since it's got more torque...

Are you sure the Note doesn't already have f/r stabilizer bars too?

the pictures i posted in another thread are of my Note, so yes the Note has a rear stabilizer bar also. the only thing is that the rear is setup more for comfort on the Note than it is handling so it feels a little less composed in the curves. also the Juke in the JDM market has a 6 speed manual as standard when paired with the 1.6 so i imagine it would be very possible to swap that transmission for the 5 speed that the micra is going to get for the canadian market. Lastly, just for comparison when you read about the Honda Fit it has the same issue with the manual transmission where it gets a little noisy at highway speeds due to having short gear ratios just like the Note's manual transmission.

Edit: did a little digging to refresh my memory and turn out i was wrong about the 6 speed on the juke being mated to the same 1.6 that's going to be in the micra, turns out it uses the same 5 speed that the Note gets.
    Last edited by Note-ified; 03-30-2014 at 01:55 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Note-ified For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-30-2014)

Thanks
    And the Note has a front stabilizer bar, too, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Not sure about the front stabilizer bar, the salesperson didn't think so. I didn't look too hard though. In any case, the Versa Note is well put together and a refined ride, it would make for a solid commuter car that can do double duty as a roomy, comfortable family hauler on the weekend. I'd probably buy one if it wasn't for the Micra.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    I'd probably buy one if it wasn't for the Micra.
    Nissan fears this, I think.

Thanks
    And the Note has a front stabilizer bar, too, right?
    yes, the note has a front stabilizer bar also

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Note-ified For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks! It's great having a resident Note expert here.

Thanks
    Nissan fears this, I think.
    not sure why they would since they sell the note and march (aka micra) side by side in Japan and last i heard the Note is actually selling better than alot of the rest of their lineup in Japan.

Thanks
    Thanks! It's great having a resident Note expert here.
    lol, just doing what i can to help out...im still jealous you guys are getting the Micra though :P