Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tires a Waste

Thanks

Talking Winter Tires a Waste

I'm beginning to think putting winter tires on my Micra has been a waste of money and time. Yes the winter here has been nothing, as far as accumulations of snow, but I've never put winter tires on any car I've ever owned and once these are worn out I'll be reverting back to all season all year. I've owned a lot of cars and 4x4 suvs and pickups (over 20 vehicles) and all season tires always worked for me. I guess I should have listened to my Micra salesman, who owns a Micra as well and had already done last years winter without snows. As for insurance companies ruling the world they can go pound salt with their pitiful discount.

Thanks
    I grew up around Sault Ste Marie up north and still have family up there. I imagine at some point i will take a run up there in the winter to visit. If i show up with all season tires in the middle of winter, my friends and family will be shaking their heads and saying "What happened to you man???"

Also i was one of those "bike riding, public transit, rent a car once a year" people for twelve years. I couldn't drive for **** the first month i had my car (November) I was paranoid about snow and imagined i would need all the help i could get staying on the road.

I agree, the insurance discount is pitiful, but when you haven't been an insured driver for a long time, every bit helps.

So here i am in tropical Toronto, green grass next to the driveway where i live in February. At least i can admire the bad ass design of my winter boots, or maybe that's just a Northern Ontario guy thing?

Name:  tired.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by Moose; 02-07-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    My observation of the Northern region ( have family there as well) from the Sault over to Sudbury is everybody drives a 4x4 vehicle. I have never seen so many 4x4s. Now I can't speak as to whether these all had snow tires but I'm sure some did. However, down here in the banana belt, there are more days of bare roads than snow covered roads along with snow plows blatantly tossing around sand and salt whether its needed or not and in most cases Not. I will be taking my snows off sometime this week before they are worn to nothing using these bare roads.

Thanks
    We grew up off the highway in the bush, the Soo was the "big city". We were the Canadian version of "hill people", I didn't actually marry my cousin though...but she was pretty hot.

Thanks
    No they are nice aggressive snows. This winter isn't typically what we get here in Ontario and I agree with Eddy that this year snows are just wearing away without being used for snow and ice. Last winter which was much worse I used the stock firestones through it and managed fine but envied those who had aggressive snows on.This year I bought snows for the stock Steelies wore them down for two weeks and got rear ended. So I was able to get them back off my old micra but haven't put them on and don't think I will with only a month and a half to go.

Thanks
    Since November (3 months and a bit) I have put 1500 km on my Micra.

Pete, I know you put over 3800 km on your Micra in 3 weeks! I totally get what you guys are saying. Expensive waste of rubber for sure.

Me, i had the snows put on the car when i bought it. I don't even have rims yet for the all season tires...they are sitting in the shed as i type waiting for me to decide on a set of rims.

Still old habits die hard.

I'm a firm believer in winter tires. But this year they were not necessary. Glad I just used my OEM all seasons.
    I'm going back to my summer ( all seasons ) setup soon. I have a lot of work to do on the car and am just waiting on a nice day. Maybe today is that day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    With the roads and hills I drive, just the few mornings that they have been ice covered, the winters have been worth not smashing up my Micra.
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Ice plus open diff = go nowhere fast

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ice plus anything = Whee! *THUD*

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...