Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Micra from Mexico -- How Canada’s cheapest car is built (driving.ca)

Thanks

Video: Micra from Mexico -- How Canada’s cheapest car is built (driving.ca)

Clayton Seams over at driving.ca has posted an article about the assembly plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico where the Micra is made (along with the Sentra and Versa).

The Micra is built exclusively at Nissan’s Aguascalientes plant in Mexico. Last year, the plant produced 707,000 vehicles that were exported to more than 100 different countries. At full capacity the plant produces one car every 55 seconds and it does this six days a week.
    Read the full article: http://driving.ca/nissan/auto-news/n...-car-is-built/

Video!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (03-27-2014)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The technology that goes into making cars these days is really quite impressive.

Thanks

63 different variations of the Canadian Micra?

Did you watch the video? The narration says they make 63 different variations of the Canadian Micra.

For a car with three trims, 2 transmissions and one "convenience package", 63 variations sounds out of whack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Did you watch the video? The narration says they make 63 different variations of the Canadian Micra.

For a car with three trims, 2 transmissions and one "convenience package", 63 variations sounds out of whack.

Maybe they're including the different coloured covers for the mirrors, door handles, hatch, and interior accessories and side in the total?

Thanks
    Hi Ustauk. I thought the colour accents were things that would be done at the dealership. Last-minute "up-sell" items.

Thanks
    How many different colors is it offered in? Does that count as variations?
    Are there any variations based on regulations being different in different provinces?

Thanks
    Lets say 5 colors, 3 trims, auto/manual, convenience package. That alone is quite a few combinations right there.

Thanks
    Provincial regs are all the same.

I never thought about colours. Maybe that explains it.

4 trims (count SV with convenience package as a distinct trim) x 2 transmissions x 5 colours = 40 variations.

Thanks
    OK. We sell products to Canada (completely unrelated to cars) and every province has different regulations. I didn't know how standardized it was for automobiles.

The Nissan Canada site shows that you can "personalize" with accent colors (mirrors, door handles, center caps, stripes). I assume that would be done at the dealer?

Thanks

Toronto Star covers Micra production too; cheapest Micra anywhere?

Darcane -- yes, that's what I've read: pick 'n' choose colour accents at the dealership.

---

Canada's most popular auto publication is the "Wheels" section of the Toronto Star newspaper.

They ran a piece on Nissan's Mexican assembly plant (it looks like Nissan flew a bunch of Canadian journalists down there recently).

The only new tidbit I learned was this particularly interesting one:

Micra is special, not only for its $9,998 base price, but because we’re getting it cheaper than any other market – even in Mexico where it’s built.
    Yikes. Shows how serious Nissan is about shaking up the Canadian auto market.

Full article: http://www.wheels.ca/feature/meet-th...st-priced-car/