Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance

Thanks
    You can't compare a Micra to a Smart Car. I can carry 3 people in my car or a good quantity of boxes and other stuff.

Mine is a 2015 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one were one available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    You can't compare a Micra to a Smart Car. I can carry 3 people in my car or a good quantity of boxes and other stuff.

yea +1 on that..you could buy a used one for 30K!! lol
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just drove my Mexican Nissan March (Micra) from Manzanillo to Comox.. got a few odd looks at the Jalisco license plate but the car was just fine... The Sense automatic with A/C (they don't sell cars without AC in Mexico) model cost me CA $15K brand new. No problems with customs and immigration. 18-20km/liter driving at 60mph.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post

... for it's size a little 2 seater grocery getter, the smart car gets terrible fuel economy.. even the diesels got only 65mpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes, I've seen this in several different cars that have gone to 6 speeds.

These days, the automakers seem reluctant to require anybody to shift OUT of top gear once they've gotten there. The result is noise, worse fuel economy and arguably higher engine wear. Not worth it in my opinion.

I am perfectly capable of upshifting AND downshifting! Give me a tall cruising gear any day. I'll drop it down a cog when I want power.
    ... if you can buy some larger diameter tires... that's what I did. The stock tires on my new 2021 Nissan March (Micra) were garbage... I went and purchased some good quality and slightly larger diameter tires right off the bat.. made a huge difference... my car has 14" tires

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MortimerSnerd For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (06-18-2023)

Thanks
    I've done it in my 1970 VW Beetle in 1975, and 2 up on a motorcycle about 10 years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in the comfort of my Micra S or my new motorcycle! Everything is possible if you really want to do it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpa53 For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (06-11-2023)

Thanks
    Having drove a Micra K13 (2013) for nearly 4 years now, here is my input on its highway capabilities.

PROS:
    1) Drive light footed and its fuel economy borders on that of a small car with a refined diesel engine.

2) Top speed of the CVT model is slightly over 140 Km/h on good straights but it comfortably cruises at 110 - 120 Km/h on a non windy day (make sure tire pressure is set at recommended values).

3) Steering feels solid and instills confidence at those high speeds for such small, non-premium car!

4) Fine traction at relatively high speeds even in corners, on good tarmac (tires and suspension need to be in good condition).

CONS:
    1) Higher than normal body roll because of the soft suspensions; esp. in corners.

2) Generally noisy cabin and worse if the installed tires are noisy as well - playing good music can compensate for it though.

3) Stock lighting is inadequate for highway driving in low light / night. Consider switching to bright LEDs (atleast 55W each) of 4300K temperature. White light (6000K) is good only on clear nights. HIDs are another alternative but can be unreliable if low quality.

4) Factory installed seats are not great for long drives.

May be I am missing a couple of points but I believe I've covered all the important ones.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spectre For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-01-2023),MetroMPG (12-08-2023),MrMicra2015 (12-01-2023)

Thanks
    I was going to have the Ziebart sound deadening sprayed on. It's only $350 to reduce the noise a bit. I do have B-Quiet sound deadener I can install as well but too cold out to do it now

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhite For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-01-2023)

Thanks
    Yes, sound deadening and heat insulation are on my next to do list for my Micra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    PROS:
    1) Drive light footed and its fuel economy borders on that of ...
    I suspect your experience is.with the 1.2L triple? In Canada, the only engine offered was the 1.6L 4-cyl (109 HP). Fuel economy is worse than many comparable small cars across the pond that have smaller displacement choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    CONS:
    1) Higher than normal body roll because of the soft suspensions; esp. in corners.
    Another interesting difference: all Canadian Micras came with both front & real anti-roll bars. Supposedly, this was the only market to get both as standard equipment on all trims. Handling is tauter than the competition - I don't believe I read a single bad word about it in dozens and dozens of professional & personal reviews.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (12-08-2023)