Thread: RPM weirdness (automatic trans: high RPM at 60 km/h after cold start)

Thanks

RPM weirdness (automatic trans: high RPM at 60 km/h after cold start)

Hey all,

So far for the most part, I'm happy with the Micra. I only have one thing that's bothering me ever since I've bought it (August 31, 2015).

The issue is that when I start driving the car from a cold start and when I get up to 60 KM/h, it's already at 2,500 RPM which is high!

It's only after about 5 to 10 minutes of driving that the RPM will go down to 1,500 RPM when driving at 60 KM/h.

So what I do is stay at 60 KM/h hour even though the speed limit of the road is 80 KM/h til the engine/transmission goes to normal.

Is anyone else getting this? I think this is a strange issue to me.

thanks!

Thanks
    Yep. Mine does that too.

It seems to hold the transmission in third for a long time.. My commute takes me down a 60kph route where it sits at 2500rpm for a few km then eventually shifts to 4th. I am guessing it is just warming up the transmission fluids because once it does that 3-4 shift, all others after are normal. 1-2-3-4.

It also seems to take longer to make that initial 3-4 shift the colder the weather is.

I figure its a normal thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yup, I think this is normal when the engine and transmission is cold. I know my Dad's 03 carolla did this after a cold start. (only AT I had driven regularly with a tacho)
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    Yup, that's normal. It's warming the drivetrain through higher RPM and in particular bringing the catalytic converter up to operating temperature.

In some cars it's more pronounced than others.

Solution: use your block heater, if you have the option. The transmission is reading engine coolant temp as a signal on when to shift and/or lock the torque converter. Pre-warm the engine (coolant) and it'll shift sooner.

Thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (11-26-2015)

Thanks
    The automatic transmission won't lock up until it's up to operating temperature. It probably is in overdrive, but it's still pushing through the hydraulic transmission fluid until things warm up. http://dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD/...P/auto/f/f.htm

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...