Thread: Brace Yourself. Winter is coming. (Emergency Kit Ideas)

Thanks

Brace Yourself. Winter is coming. (Emergency Kit Ideas)

With winter around the corner and some of us already dancing in it, we should all have a small "kit" for dealing with roadside emergencies, landing in the ditch, white out, etc.

Having been a professional driver, driver instructor/examiner for over 15 years in Canada and overseas I have seen my fair share of unexpected. Allthough this list is not definitive it is a good starting point for some on equipment you should carry in your trunk to deal with winter wipeouts and what I carry each year with me.

First Aid Kit
    Sleeping bag, or similar blankets
    Potable water (it will thaw)
    Ration pack or similar non perishable, easy open food, enough for 48h.
    High visability vest (cheap and can be used to flag down help)
    Colapsable shovel for clearing out exhaust, building snow wall etc...
    Folding triangle road flares (not the flamable types)
    Crossword puzzle book
    5m String
    Reflective blanket x 4 (Makes good curtains too and super tiny)
    Notepad and pencil
    All tire change equipment
    Hatchet
    Swiss army knife (even a wee little one will do..)
    Firestarters (Bic lighter, scrap paper, etc)

In any event, the biggest thing I can say is DONT LEAVE THE CAR. Many people will tend to wander, usually due to not having any food or water with them, or not enough. Rescuers will almost always start from the car in a search. Even if your car does not run you can make a good shelter out of the car itself.

As well when your in the ditch, clear the snow off your vehicle from time to time and ensure that your exhaust is not blocked up with snow. Never let the tank fall below 1/2, at idle, your car can last for a day or two if you pulse the heat, and use of the arctic candles and reflective blankets covering the windows can help.

Signalling for help can be done if you are uninjured. Mark the side your car is on using the safety triangles on the side of the road you have gone off. Ensure they are also free of snow every few hours. While your engine is running, usin gthe 4 way flashers can help attract attention. If you are outside of the vehicle, don your safety vest. building a small fire and drying out wood beside it is prefferable.

What else can we think of? Lets get some more discussions out there.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (11-16-2015),MetroMPG (11-16-2015),MightyMicra (11-16-2015)

Thanks
    Good idea.

The last time it occurred to me that I would be up $h1# creek if I'd had problems was driving to B.C. in January. North of Superior I realized I was driving for long stretches in between towns without seeing another car on the highway. At that point I thought to myself: "if I get into trouble, this is serious." It was about -20C & snowy. Worst case scenario would be going in the ditch out of sight from the road, with snow falling to cover your tracks.

I had much (but not all) the gear with me. I chuckled at the crossword puzzle suggestion ... but if you're stuck for a while, it could get boring!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes, it can.. A novel, just something to do to stave off boredom. Worst case the pages can be used for starting a fire if need be. One of the drivers here always kept a deck of cards in his first aid kit for just such occasions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Because of my trade, I keep various layers of different type of clothing in the back seat, including a reflective vest and very warm lined canvas coveralls that will beat a sleeping bag or a blanket at sub-zero temperatures. I always keep a small car shovel in the trunk this time of year; in fact, I still have the same one I used to carry in my original Micra. I tend to pack extra food and water in my lunch during the winter, just in case I get stuck. My everyday tool kit includes lights, tape, knives, hammer, and a hacksaw, among other things. I also usually have my Cobra CXT 1035R FLT waterproof GMRS radio with me. Although it's not officially monitored, there are people (including myself) who monitor the FRS/GMRS frequencies when the weather gets rough.

However, the most important thing I always keep in my boot during the winter time is...a full bottle of sub-zero washer fluid.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yep, If you have it a radio can be useful. Im a HAM radio operator (73 de VA3IRA) and when the weather gets bad I watch the FRS GMRS and CB bands for people who need help.