Thread: Greetings from an original Micra owner

Thanks

Talking Greetings from an original Micra owner

Hello, good people of micra-forum.com; this is Paul from mymicra.com.

I had owned an original 1990 K10 Micra in the 90's, and have long since regretted selling it when I learned that Nissan had discontinued the Micra in Canada. I confess that I was jealous of other countries that continued to sell this great little car as it evolved.

I created what is, to the best of my knowledge, the first Canadian Micra appreciation page in the year 2000, as can be confirmed by the wayback machine. I currently host it on my own server at http://mymicra.com/tribute.html. I did not learn of the existence of this forum until after I created my own at forums.mymicra.com. I want to make it clear that I do not intend to compete with the likes of micra-forum.com; my own blog and forum are simply my expression of enthusiasm for the Micra, and exist at no profit (but at expense) to me. I wholeheartedly support commercial efforts such as this, and would like to add this site as "Friends of My Micra" on my own blog, at the permission of the owners of this forum. It's my sincere belief that the Micra will become a very popular car for what are obvious reasons to members of this forum and myself, and envision a vibrant, diverse community of Micra drivers with room for us all.

I confess that I am a Micraholic. It's a fun car that's solidly built and responds well to my economic sensibilities. I've been all over the 2015 Micra at the Toronto Auto Show, and came away very impressed. I'm 6'4". Back seat legroom and headroom was the best, front seat headroom and legroom was ample, and I went over the "Unseen" parts of the body and came away impressed with the incredible attention to detail. Bear in mind I spent over 7 years in the body shop of a car factory, so I know what to look for. If the new Micra is built to the same specs as the one at the auto show, this is going to be a solid little car.

I plan on trading in my current car, an '02 Grand Am GT, for a 2015 Nissan Micra, as soon as possible. In fact, I've already bought the license plates for my new Micra. Can you guess my new license plate number?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi, Paul!

Welcome to the site!

I'm Darin. I've been to your Micra site before, and also saw the YouTube video you posted from the Toronto Auto show. I believe I also asked you a question about the Micra's rear seats (whether the base flipped up after folding the seatbacks down... I can confirm after seeing the Micra a the Ottawa show they do not, sadly).

We would welcome being included on your Friends page, thanks. Feel free to add your URL to your profile here as well.

And, while it's true we're a "commercial" site, in the sense that we have ads, a better description is that it's a hobby/passion that may one day end up paying 25 cents an hour, if we're lucky! Tim (Daox) and run a couple of sites dedicated to different small cars & fuel efficiency in general.

Like you, I was also hooked by an economy car from the 90's -- I still own a '98 Pontiac Firefly. The outstanding fuel efficiency of the 1.0L, 5-speed model is what drew me to that car. I'm curious: what in particular about the original Micra captured you? (I admit I never drove an original Micra... though I did own Nissan's previous most efficient car before the Micra came out.)

Which trim will you get? Manual or automatic?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hi, Darrin! What attracted me to the new 2015 was my experience with my 1990 Micra. To summarize, I found my 1990 Micra to be a humble, honest car that met my needs. It's humble in that it doesn't pretend to be better than any other car, but it's honest in that it's solidly built, reliable, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

In the late 1970's, fuel efficient mini cars like the Honda Civic were becoming increasingly popular; they were engineered to provide the ample interior space of a large, full sized car, while incorporating dimensions significantly smaller; almost like Dr. Who's Tardis. Meanwhile, they utilized an engine that was designed to provide the car with sufficient power for its task of transporting people and luggage perfectly and efficiently. It flew in the face of the concept that a person "Might" need more power "Just in case;" instead, it said that this is exactly the power people need, and anything more is a waste.

In the 1990's, the Micra was the best car on the Canadian market that met the ideals delivered by cars like the Civic CVCC in the 70's with a great price, and improved on these ideals with better rust resistance, more reliable engine, and better interior layout. It was a fun to drive car without needing to be powerful or fast; it didn't demand much of me but delivered so much in return. When people saw my Micra, they recognized me as humble and friendly, because people often judge us by the cars we drive.

I've had dreams the past couple of years that I still had my Micra, and woke up wishing I still had it. I missed the days of pumping in $20 worth of gas and being able to drive nearly a month before seeing empty. I missed the tight turning radius. I missed the carefree driving, the versatility, the simplicity.

I was going to replace my current car with something along the lines of the Micra this year; this kind of hatchback is perfect for my trade. I was considering Fiat 500, Fiesta, or the Yaris, but none of those measure up to the Micra. The Micra is the car for me, and this time around, I'll get the stick shift.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site AlphaMicra.

Its cool to have an old school Micra owner here. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the new Micra once you pick on up.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post

In the late 1970's, fuel efficient mini cars like the Honda Civic were becoming increasingly popular; they were engineered to provide the ample interior space of a large, full sized car, while incorporating dimensions significantly smaller; almost like Dr. Who's Tardis.
    Haha! Love the reference!

"It's bigger on the inside...."
    -Dr. Who