Thread: Smell of Gas after starting my Micra

Thanks

Smell of Gas after starting my Micra

Hello everyone, Ive seem to run into another problem with my Micra and was wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar? For the last week or so ive noticed everytime I let my car sit overnight and go to start it in the morning I get the strongest smell of gas fumes on the outside of my vehicle and can be smelt the best if I roll down the driver's side window. I cant see anything leaking on the underside of the vehicle and checked the ground underneath to make sure there was no gas leak. I tryed calling the dealership today but the service department is closed until Monday so im just trying to get a better idea of what could be happening and if its safe to keep driving through the weekend?

Thanks
    What I can reccomend is:

Check the fuel cap. Specifically the gasket around the filler cap.
    Check the fuel lines underhood. (Most likely not as you would likely have a performance issue)
    Pull up on the rear seat cushion. It will come out and is held in at the front by two clips. Under it you will see the fuel pump. This location should be dry.
    With the cushion removed, turn the key a few times to "ON" but do not start. You will hear the fuel pump kick in and prime the fuel lines. Do this several times and look under the vehicle and under the hood again for wet spots. Placing cardboard under the car along where the fuel line is can help to pick up these spots.

Is the smell continuous, after starting or just in that spot where you started it. Like if you drive for a bit, then stop at a light do you smell it again or just during start up?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for the help man, I did everything you suggested and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Around the fuel pump was completely dry and the card board did not show any leaks on it.

The smell is only when I first start up the car in my driveway and it's usually gone after a minute or two of driving. It also never does it the second time I go to start it if I just go to the store or something really quick, only when its sat overnight or for a prolonged period of time.

That, in theory, is the evap system leaking fumes that should be sucked into the engine and burned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    +1 I agree. So, wonder if his PCV system is leaking or wiggled loose? Im not famliar with the Micras pollution system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've never experienced this issue before. Let us know what you find out.

---

The only fuel related problem I ever had was with an old VW Rabbit while driving in Ottawa... all of a sudden I could smell gas idling at a stop light. Strong odour. When I pulled away from the light, the engine chugged a stumbled a little. In my mirror I noticed a continuous TRAIL of liquid on the road behind me... and none in front of me! Uh oh!

I turned off the busy road I was on (Carling) at the first opportunity and killed the engine. Turned out it was a cracked neoprene fuel line off the tank. Easy roadside fix, but by then I was out of gas! Room mate to the rescue with a 5L jug.

I'm just lucky nobody decided to re-enact that famous scene from movies where they throw a cigarette on the gasoline trail of the car driving away...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-20-2015)