Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 Micra spare tire: full size spare or compact? Location?

Thanks
    I have needed a spare tire... just once.

And if I hadn't had that spare, it would have been a MAJOR hassle. It was late at night, cell phones hadn't been invented yet (OK, maybe I jest), and I was out in the countryside.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That 'Vette picture: what a terrible way to illustrate the point!
    Yeah... but it was the best picture I could find. The spare tire is pretty unexciting, so I guess not many people take pictures of it.

Thanks
    I found the spare has come in handy on a couple of occasions. Once when my tire had a slow leak that I couldn't find, so I put the spare on and left the tire at the shop for the day; because of that, they only charged me $10 to fix it instead of the regular shop rate. Another time I had my snow tires removed and all seasons put back on the rim, when the all season came off the rim while driving down the highway. No way will green gunk and a compressor fix that! I drove with the spare while I fought with the tire shop, who eventually gave me a new pair of tires pro-rated to the tread left on the one that blew off the rim.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Here's the bolt location inside the cargo area to release the spare tire. Sorry for the blur!

(Added to post #1 also)...

Name:  micra-spare-tire-bolt.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  44.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (08-20-2014)

Thanks
    So, unbolting that drops the carriage holding the spare up?

Thanks
    the foreign market micras have the spare inside the trunk floor. yes the floor on those does sit a bit higher but it was still plenty of space. I like the spares inside the vehicle as they wont rot and corrode from all the road salt each winter

Thanks
    Daox, it threads into a clip that holds the cage that retains the spare tire. Loosen it, unclip the cage, and the tire pops out.

the6ee6, the spare tire in the Micra is recessed and out of the way of spray from the tires, so it's doubtful that it would rot and corrode from the road salt any more than any other part of the underbody.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Corrode, maybe not, but a pretty big pain in the ass to get to in a situation where you're, say, stuck on the side of the road in the dark. I would have preferred the weight and cost savings and just been given a can of fix-a-flat.
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    Corrode, maybe not, but a pretty big pain in the ass to get to in a situation where you're, say, stuck on the side of the road in the dark. I would have preferred the weight and cost savings and just been given a can of fix-a-flat.
    Keep in mind a can of fix-a-flat is meant to be used as a temporary repair for minor leaks in the middle of the thread area of the tire. If you end up with a larger puncture or lets say a nail in the side wall... you will be stuck on the side of the road. An annoyance, but not the end of the world if your in town where you can get a tow truck easily. (Anywhere from 15min to a few hrs wait if your on rush hour) But its down right awful if your in the middle of nowhere without cell reception. I can tell you by experience, few if any people will stop to help.

Several years ago my fuel pump on my Cavalier died while in the Fraser Canyon, no cell reception. Took 4 hrs before someone finally pulled over. I was well dressed, clean shaven.... After 3 hrs of trying to wave someone to stop. I litterally started to jump in front of cars on the highway to force them to stop. One nearly ran me over, an other one stopped, I told them my situation and asked if they could call me a tow truck once they got closser to town. Told me they couldnt help and left. An elderly couple from alaska finally pulled over and help me out. God forbid if there was an medical emergency... people in this day and age are scared of their shadow.

Im a strong beleiver in full size spare tires, or at the very least the donut tire. The fix a flat can... worst idea ever. Thats just asking to be stuck on the side of the road in the dark.