Thread: Judy :: 2015 Nissan Micra SV (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Judy
    Nissan
    Micra SV
    Red Alert
    Manual

Modifications

- Rally Armor mud flaps

Upgraded Nissan radio with rear-view camera

•  

Bone stock 1.6 litre I4 producing a face melting 109 hp.

•  

White plastidipped 15" DAI alloy wheels with winter tires (Michelin X-Ice)

Comments: 6 / Views: 13319
    Thanks
    Just completed my first modification on Judy: plastidipping my winter wheels white!

Here's a quick rundown of the procedure and the costs:
    - Used 15" DAI alloy wheels : 190$ on Kijiji (I was very patient and found just the right model for my car)
    - 4 cans of white Plasti Dip: 50$
    - 4 hub centering rings: 20$
    - Installing/balancing winter tires: 60$
    TOTAL: 320$

Step 1: Clean the wheels thoroughly. I cleaned them using car wash soap and used multi-purpose cleaner to get all the hard to reach gunk. It did the trick.

Step 2: Let the wheels dry. They need to be perfectly dry, otherwise the plastidip won't stick or could bubble.

Step 3: Cover the tires to avoid having to peel/clean overspray on the tires. In my case, the wheels were in garbage bags, so I just cut a hole and used painter's tape to seal everything.
    Name:  IMG_8058.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  92.0 KB
    Don't forget the valve covers!
    Name:  IMG_8062.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  86.3 KB

Step 4: Apply multiple coats of plastidip on each wheel. You should need about 1 can per wheel. Let it dry 15 minutes between the coats. You should also wear a mask when using plastidip. There are multiple tutorials on YouTube showing you how to do this right.
    When I did it, it was 6 degrees out and my garage is detached and not heated, so I kept the cans in the house to make sure they stay warm. Apparently, plastidip doesn't do well when its cold (in French we would say "ça fait des mottons").
    Name:  IMG_8063.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  95.7 KB
    First coat (above) and final coat (below)
    Name:  IMG_8065.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  93.2 KB

Step 5: Remove the tape and plastic bags and enjoy the result!
    Name:  IMG_8068.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  93.5 KB

It took me about 2 hours from start to finish to clean and dip all 4 wheels. I really like the result and it looks really good on the Micra. We'll see how long it will last, but what's great with plastidip is that I can always peel it off and respray the wheels if I want to change the color or just redo them.
    Name:  IMG_8112.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  96.8 KB

Next step: installing the mud flaps! I got them a week ago, now I just have to find the time to install them...
    Name:  IMG_8114.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  93.3 KB
    2015 Nissan Micra SV a.k.a. Judy
    2015 Nissan Leaf SV a.k.a. GLaDOS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goog1986 For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (01-11-2016),Pete (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Super belle job! Travail minutieux! Now the winter wheels are looking way much better than the summer steelies

Pis le blanc avec le rouge, c'est très beau. Une belle personnalisation du véhicule.

P.S. Y'a donc bien de la neige à Laval
    Last edited by Papapoil; 12-08-2015 at 03:06 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

goog1986 (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you for this, mightycarmods did a great video for painting wheels, just not with plastidip. Remember the prep is the most important step!
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

goog1986 (12-08-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Plastidipped mine also, but black. Piece of cake, and a great result. So far it survived the first winter season but winter overhere in Holland isn't that cold compaired to Canada

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapoil View Post
    P.S. Y'a donc bien de la neige à Laval
    Ouin... mon "just completed" porte à confusion. C'était il y a 2 semaines, il y a eu de la neige pendant un avant-midi. C'était tout fondu quelques heures après avoir pris les photos!

J'ai juste pas eu le temps d'écrire un post ici depuis que j'ai fait la job.

Thanks
    Hello again,

I finally had time last week-end to install my Rally Armor mud flaps on Judy. The result is amazing! Like I did with the wheels, here's a quick walkthrough if you wish to do the same on your Micra.

The mud flaps I purchased are the "Universal BASIC Mud flap" from Rally Armor (available here). Since they are universal, you need to figure out a way to install them yourself (align them, drill the holes, modify the shape).

The front flaps were easier to install than the rear since I used the existing holes and plastic clips to mount them. There was nothing of the sort in the back, which made it trickier.

Cost
    - Rally Armor mud flaps ordered from the official website: 15.99 USD + shipping (roughly $40 CND)
    - Aluminum plate: FREE (maybe around 4-5$)
    - Screws, bolts and washers: FREE (probably around 8$ worth of stuff, maybe more if you can't buy them individually)
    TOTAL: Less than 60$

Time: It took about 3 hours to do this (I had someone to help me).

Alright, here's what I did (I have some pictures, but some steps are missing):

1. Let's start with the front, you first need to remove the three clips holding the wheel well cover to the body of the car.

2. Draw a template of the holes to drill (I used a piece of cardboard to do it).
    Name:  IMG_8264.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  91.1 KB

3. Drill the first hole (at the top) and have someone hold the mud flap in place so you can align it properly. Once it is straight, use the cardboard template to draw the holes positions on the mud flaps.

4. Since the Rally Armor mud flaps are pretty wide, you can trim some of it (I followed the wheel well guard) and you will need to screw them in place on the inside also. Otherwise, if you only fix them using the three existing holes, it won't be enough to keep them in place. What I did is I inserted a small metal plate under the wheel well guard and used two self tapping screws to secure the mud flap to the plate.
    Name:  IMG_8268.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  94.1 KB

5. Oh yeah, before installing the mud flap, use it as a mirror template for the other side. It will save you a lot of time and you will be guaranteed that both sides are exactly the same. The picture below is the passenger side mud flap that I trimmed using the driver side mud flap as a template.
    Name:  IMG_8269.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  98.8 KB

6. This is the result at the front.
    Name:  IMG_8270.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  93.4 KB

7. Now, let's do the rear mud flaps. Since there are no holes on the back, you will need to drill them yourself.

8. Again, you will need someone to hold the mud flap in place while you align it (you can also use C-clamps if you have some). To make sure the alignment was right, we used a laser level to have the same position in relation to the wheel.

9. Once it is aligned, drill the holes and secure the mudflaps with bolts and washers.
    Name:  IMG_8272.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  93.9 KB

10. This won't be enough to secure it in place though. Since there are no mounting available, you will need to find a way to create a mounting point on the inside of the mud flap. In my case, there was an aluminum plate lying around in the garage, so I bent it and used it to create a mounting point.
    Name:  IMG_8273.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  84.4 KB

11. Secure the mud flap to the mounting bracket using self tapping screws and repeat for the other side.
    Name:  IMG_8274.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  90.1 KB

12. On the passenger side, you will need to trim some of the mud flap, otherwise the muffler mounting bracket will vibrate against it when idling.

Here's the end result:
    Name:  IMG_8275.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_8277.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  98.4 KB

Last edited by goog1986; 01-12-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Added cost and time

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to goog1986 For This Useful Post:

fretalian (01-11-2016),graymeeguts (03-18-2016),Howie (01-11-2016),IMPUL (01-11-2016),MightyMicra (01-12-2016),miklo (06-11-2020),pilip948 (05-25-2016),ptbo micra (01-12-2016),Vaszya (05-11-2023),Wynter (02-04-2016)