Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn off running lights

Thanks

Turn off running lights

Hhas anyone else notice that the running lights do not come on till it is put in gear. I would like to know if there was any way to turn them back off like older vehicles that pull the e brake one click and its lights out!

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, why turn them off?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoMicra View Post
    Hhas anyone else notice that the running lights do not come on till it is put in gear. I would like to know if there was any way to turn them back off like older vehicles that pull the e brake one click and its lights out!
    That's weird, my daytimers come on as soon as P-brake is released and then stay on. Pulling back one click will not turn them off like other cars i've owned. Mine is a manual though. EDIT: just checked and yours is manual too, double weird!

Some guys just dig around and rig the P-brake switch, but then you have to look at the light on the dash. On my S-10 I put a jumper in place of the relay in fuse box.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sorry yea you are right its the park brake. So you just ran a wire from the relay to the park brake switch?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why turn them off?
    It a gang thing: you need to be able to turn off all lights and then the first approaching car that flashes his lights at you...

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoMicra View Post
    Sorry yea you are right its the park brake. So you just ran a wire from the relay to the park brake switch?
    1)Parking brake switch has to be rigged open, or closed, as necessary. This leaves the dash warning light on though.

2) A better solution is to identify the relay that controls the day time running lights and either remove/bend over the proper tabs or remove relay altogether and install a jumper.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    It a gang thing: you need to be able to turn off all lights and then the first approaching car that flashes his lights at you...
    Oh, cool!! Can I join?

1)Parking brake switch has to be rigged open, or closed, as necessary. This leaves the dash warning light on though.
    A side-effect of that approach: the parking brake light is also the warning for low brake fluid.

Possibly simpler approach: just find the fuse for the DRL circuit. The '07 Civic I picked up has one -- maybe the Micra does too? You can easily rig a circuit with a switch so you can choose when the DRL's are on or off.

You can even buy a ready-made kit to make a fuse switchable. Jeep owners do this to control the dome light when they take their doors off: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_200.htm

Name:  37358-lg.jpg
Views: 3122
Size:  51.7 KB

(I have a Micra owner's manual, but it doesn't list the fuses, just the location of the 2 panels/boxes. So I don't know if there's actually a dedicated DRL fuse. Check the fusebox diagrams in the car.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey, that looks like a good solution to the ''problem''. Will have a look on my car when I get a chance. Pretty sure it will be a relay in the engine compartment fuse box (like my S-10) because it's not a separate light for the DRL's, just lower power sent through the regular HL's.

EDIT:Checked cabin/under hood fuse panels and I can't identify what is controlling the DRL's

EDIT #2: Fuse panel hieroglyphics pic# 1 cabin, pic#2 under hood. maybe someone can spot the right one?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by aftica; 10-05-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Just leave them on, and replace a bulb here and there.. Hotwiring the park brake switch or its harness will trigger a warning on the bcm.. If you dont believe me, go for a drive with it on one click. If you dont mind listening to DINGDINGDINGDINGDING the entire time.

DRL are controlled by the BCM. Which is another reason why the car isn't sold in the US, the US is one of the very few reason where DRL isn't required by law. Some provinces are. $500 fine in PEI is forthcoming. In Nova Scota Lowbeams or DRL is manditory, even to visitors.

I'd expect it to spread across the rest of the provinces, and its for your safety.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

DRL are controlled by the BCM. Which is another reason why the car isn't sold in the US, the US is one of the very few reason where DRL isn't required by law. Some provinces are. $500 fine in PEI is forthcoming. In Nova Scota Lowbeams or DRL is manditory, even to visitors.

I'd expect it to spread across the rest of the provinces, and its for your safety.
    The car not being currently sold in the US has nothing to do with the included DRL's. Many vehicles sold in the US are equipped with DRL's. For various reasons, a lot of guys don't like the DRL's and you can find info on forums on how to disable them.
    When the Micra is sold in the US, this info will soon come to light as it can be a hot topic...or hopefully someone here can figure it out sooner, for those who are interested.

Not sure what BCM is...is it included in one of the above fuse panel photos but maybe marked differently?

Thanks!

EDIT: a whole site dedicated to disabling DRL's LOL! http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html
    Last edited by aftica; 10-08-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    When I was 15, my older friend drove a non-DRL Buick. We were flying at a high rate of speed along Highway 115 (before it was a divided highway), when he blew through a speed trap. We saw the cherries light up; he killed the lights and shifted down to slow down, and hit an east-west side road. We were practically flying blind down that side road until we came to another side road running north off of that; I still don't know how he knew it was there. Once on that side road, he finally turned the headlights back on, made his way back to another east-west side road, and then back onto highway 115. He coasted by the cops at the speed limit, who were searching the ditches with the spot lights on their car. They must've thought we vanished into the night. He would have never been able to do this with DRL's.

I refused to ride with him ever again.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...