Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Types: What you need to know.

Thanks
    I get mine at CT as well.. They offer 3c off each litre for military. Just in case there are some military micra lurkers..

CT is an independence retailer. They purchase their gas from a variety of retailers with their own selected additives and have standing agreements with the closest refinery to keep the transportation costs down. It kind of works like this:

Crude Supply - Refinery - Transport to Terminal (Either truck, rail, ship).

If your an Ontarian there are two big refinery chains: Suncor(Aka, Petrocan, shell, exxon), and Imperial Oil (Esso). Primarily they all belong to those two chains. It is made to the individual companies specification where it comes to Additives. Depending on where the station is physically located will reveal where who they bought it from. Chances are if you are in eastern ontario, it's suncor's gas with whatever additives were specified by Canadian tire.

Gasoline is typically 90% gasoline and 1-3% benzene. Leave around 8% left for additives. Some are mandatory, like metal deactivators, antioxitants, MMT (octane booster) and certain detergents. Some aren't like alcohol (ethanol or rarely methanol), nitrogen, and other detergents. When you get through all that, there isn't a lot left to modify.

From what I see here on the desk. V-power and v-power nitro+ does have a higher level of detergents and MMT... But we are talking less then 1%. Still a difference. The question is, is it worth the cost? That is entirely up to the person pumping it.

My impression of it is: If I had a high compression car, either NA or forced induction, I would definitally be running premium. Even if It was high compression and the manual says its ok to run regular fuel (IE Skyactive and EcoBoost engines) I would still be feeding it premium fuel.

For regular engines, run what the owners manual says as a minimum, but you probably wont see a benefit or loss from premium fuels.

Last edited by Howie; 11-23-2015 at 11:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...