Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***warning*** check your lug nuts...

***warning*** check your lug nuts...

So i started hearing a knocking sound.. Thought oh no my bearings/tie rod/something is going.
    Inspected asap. Found my lugs on my front right side were loose.

Like spin with one finger loose. So i found my knocking noise.

Went around with my torque bar and reset all of them. And sure enough, most could use a 1/8-1/4 turn. Clicked almost right away, but still moved.

So err on the side of caution and check your lug nuts ... We dont need any tires flying down the highway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yup!

My sister in law called me one day: "I just had my car at the dealership (Mazda) for service, and now it sounds TERRIBLE! Could you please come look at it?"

Turned out ALL the lug nuts were only finger tight. Some were loose enough that a couple of wheels were actually wobbling a bit.

I tightened them up & told her to call the dealer to let them know what happened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

In fact the heat and viberation generated has seized the tie rod adjustment nut.
    Ive adjusted the driver side, but the passenger side wont budge.

The thing is, with better heat and a longer wrench and actually being under the car I COULD possible do it, once. Then it likely will be scuggered up. So do you think nissan will replace the whole tie rod and adjust for free?
    Or would they try, and probably end up chargin me for the adjustment anyways?

If im paying for an alingment i might as well just do that since it will probably be $69.99 instead of minimum $99.99 plus whatever else they try to say "needs to be done and is only partial covered" meaning still a bill at the end.

Any thoughts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

In fact the heat and viberation generated has seized the tie rod adjustment nut.
    Ive adjusted the driver side, but the passenger side wont budge.

The thing is, with better heat and a longer wrench and actually being under the car I COULD possible do it, once. Then it likely will be scuggered up. So do you think nissan will replace the whole tie rod and adjust for free?
    Or would they try, and probably end up chargin me for the adjustment anyways?

If im paying for an alingment i might as well just do that since it will probably be $69.99 instead of minimum $99.99 plus whatever else they try to say "needs to be done and is only partial covered" meaning still a bill at the end.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    How many ft. lbs. Is your torque wrench set at? Lug nuts on all alloy wheels should be checked frequently. My wife has always had alloys on her vehicles and I check them monthly as she drove her grand caravan with loose lug nuts to the point of ruining the wheel ,hub bolt and nuts...then came to me and said "there is something wrong with my van" so on the juke I check them every month.You have lowered your micra with a suspension upgrade so I would go the $69.99 alignment route at random shop because your suspension upgrade will likely throw the techs at nissan into a tizzy as the service manual will be useless to them. Alignment is one thing us shade tree mechanics can't do properly at home so $70.00 alignment please.What is it doing..ie. pulling left or right? Is your steering wheel centered when your wheels are pointed straight? Just my thoughts but what do I know anyways?

90 ft-lbs 115nm (book says 87 ftlb113 nm )or something.

I can get it close(ball park) in te drive way if the nut would move.

I must have tilted it. During the suspension install and didnt pay attention.

I could undo it all and set it up but thats alot of work, and thats exactly what the tierod adjustment nut is for.

The car will drive straight if the wheel isturnedslightly right. If str8 the car turns left.

So I figured the left wheel was \ while the right was | so \----|

So I undid the left ( driver ) tire and moved the tierod end out, which pushes the toe in.

I checked it. Visually it looks good. I test it. Less to the left when str8, less of a right turn to go str8.

Half way there.

I visually check again. Now i can see the driver sideis str8 |----\ and passenger side is toe in.

So I went to do the opposite. Move the tierod end in, to pull the toe out.

FAIL. Adjustment nut wont budge. Not with heat, hammer, wd40... And not enough room for a breaker bar on my wrench. Can jack the car high enough.

I want a place that will let me jack my car up and work on it.

I really dont want to pay $70plus hst to have one nut loosened off so it can be adjusted ..

Super mad right now. And as far as I can tell, its my own damn fault.

There is one place that might let me do it, or charge me very little since its a small job.

RMN auto in oakville just off of speers rd. When Im lazy or its too coldto change my own oil I bring them my oil&filter and its $20 flat. In and out. So Ill see them tomorrow after work since I have to go there anyways to sign up with elections canada. Haha, ya, Im gonna be a poll clerk. But itsgoingto buy car parts so its worth it.
    Last edited by IMPUL; 09-08-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    You got a ditch or something nearby that you can straddle the car over lol.Hold on Im going outside to look at mine.

Thanks
    You talking about the nut that locks th outer tie rod end?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ya man.

Thanks
    Yeah that can be a b*&^/$#. Your obviously attacking it from behind the axle and lifting up on the wrench right? I keep pieces of pipe of various length to slip over the wrench for stuff like that and a second person would help to hold the tie rod end until you get the pipe over the end of the wrench turning if required to suit where you need it to make it work.