Thread: Your favorite road trip toys

Thanks

Lightbulb Your favorite road trip toys

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone have favorite go to apps or toys they like to use with their Micra during a commute or road trip.

I'll start with mine. First, my OBDII reader. I have bought and tried a few, starting with the el-cheapo made in China crap based on EL327 chipsets. All of them were either not working as advertised with iPhones, or extremely slow. All were Wifi which disables your internet connection. I also tried the promising one from Innova that I got from Part Source. The software was made by Palmer Performance (maker of DashCommander), so it must be good, right? Crap.

Which brings me to Automatic. Sold currently only in the US, with an international edition coming soon. Same hardware, so cross the line if you can get one, to me it's worth it. Bluetooth, so no more loosing your internet connection, very fast reading. Allows you to read your codes, and to drive better driving behaviour. Their software is actually cool, I was mainly looking at using my favorite app, which is tool #2, DashCommander, but I get to like their app. Check it out at https://www.automatic.com. Distances are unfortunately in miles, until the international edition is finalized, the apps will be then updated to read Km as your clicks. And... it uses GPS for distance, it does not calculate from the OBDII. A very nice plus. App for Android and iOS.

Second one as mentioned, is DashCommander. Helps track mileage, fuel consumption, resetting and reading codes, calculating your track time, trip counters, all sort of live data display and logging. On a long trip, making sure I stay on target, don't run out of gas, I get this nice in my face speed gauge. Travelling in the US, set it in miles per hour.
    Check it out at http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php They also have other apps that might best suit your needs. App for Windows, Android and iOS.

GasBuddy. If you don't already know about gas price social/crowd sourcing, you have to get to know GasBuddy. I know Waze had the feature, it's not up to date.

For navigation, everyone has their preference. I purchased Tom-tom a while a go, and last year I moved to Sygic. I prefer their maping and navigation aid. Waze is free and used as a close second. What I like of Waze, realtime traffic from people. Was users contribute passively by providing their speed, and Waze can tell you a route will be slower. Many time it took me out of traffic and saved me lots of time.

NOCO Genius Boost GB30. It's a miniature Li-Ion booster pack. Fits in your glove box! Serves as emergency lights and a battery pack for anything charging via USB like your cellular phone. Works like a charm on our cards.

Now, one thing I didn't get, and might consider for the wife, who tends to run out of gas, is something like Magic Tank, or Extra Fuel. You don't smell the fumes and can help if you can't wait for CAA (or don't have CAA).

I always carry a box in the back with emergency articles, like wool blanket, candles, flashlights, Slime with tire inflator in case of a flat tire; some protein bars, water bottle. I rotate the semi perishables of course.

What do you carry/log along on trips?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Sirius Satilite Radio. A godsend on those really really long trips. If you cant manage that, an iPod with a bunch of tunes slapped onto it, is also another great Idea. Tunes can help.

Emergency bag with basic tools, road flares (safety triangles are safer) a small reflective vest, bottled water and military ration packs (Not MRE, Canadian Ration packs [trust me, big difference]), 2 emergency blankets, just in case.

USB charger for the phone, just in case, and the generic GPS up top. Little stuffed foxie dangling from the mirror.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    On road trips I almost always travel with a tool kit as well as some of the above-mentioned stuff ... because old car!

Something you guys don't have to worry about.

I once ran out of gas due to a wonky fuel gauge in an old Accord, but I kept a small conventional gas can (empty) in the trunk. It's amazing how fast you will get a ride if you stick out your thumb while holding one of those!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Compassion? ;-)
    I have yet to run out of gas, not something I like to experience.
    I wonder how safe/dangerous those fake gallons of gas are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...