Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra stalled on the highway, low RPMs.

Thanks

Exclamation Micra stalled on the highway, low RPMs.

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum after trying to look up other issues people have been having with their Micra. I have yet to see anyone who's had this issue yet so I figured I would post here and find out if I'm the only one.

I bought my 2015 Nissan Micra SV in October 2014. I have about 34,000 KM on it. Being my first car, I was pretty darn excited. I work as a visiting nurse so I see clients in their homes and provide care for them. Knowing this, you can understand how important a reliable car is to me.

Today I was on the highway and my car just... stalled. (My car is automatic, so you can see why this was confusing to me.) I was in stop and go traffic. I had to slow the car down, put it in park, restart the engine and be on my merry way. (Side note: a couple weeks ago I noticed my RPMs were below 1000. I didn't pay much mind to it.) I looked at my RPMs when I'd restarted the car and they were just skimming between 1000 and 500. As I made my way on the highway, I started feeling jerking motions when I took my foot off the accelerator. Then as I was making my way to my next client, my engine light went on.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've taken it to my local Nissan dealership and can keep you all posted for those who want to know about it.

My fear is dead. Ambition drove the hearse.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to astroz0mbies For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Sorry to hear. Don't fear low RPM though. My car idle at about 650-680 RPM.

I'll let others chime in, somehow my first guess would be fuel. Mixture or not enough pedal?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Mine is at 650 ish as well at idle. Around 800-900 with the a/c on.

Sounds to me like a definite fuel system issue. Could be bad gas, water in the fuel. (Most likely)

Less likely is throttle position sensor, Idle air control circuit, pcv system. But those are generic, I haven't really sat down to look at the micras systems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well you could have just pushed the shifter ahead while rolling to the N for neutral and started it without stopping. That sounds like fuel to me with the jerking and all but nissan will know what caused the cel. The jerking was when you let off of it? That's odd. Weak fuel pump clogged fuel filter carbon buildup in the throttle body? Any issues at traffic lights? Does the automatic transmission have a torque converter lock? Sorry to hear about this at only 35000k hopefully it's something simple. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Pete; 08-31-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Mine is at 650 ish as well at idle. Around 800-900 with the a/c on.

Sounds to me like a definite fuel system issue. Could be bad gas, water in the fuel. (Most likely)

Less likely is throttle position sensor, Idle air control circuit, pcv system. But those are generic, I haven't really sat down to look at the micras systems.
    Pardon my ignorance, how can water get in the fuel? Perhaps it could be bad gas from a certain station?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astroz0mbies View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, how can water get in the fuel? Perhaps it could be bad gas from a certain station?
    It could be fuel related. One other owner had vapour lock which caused the engine to jerk & sputter like you describe. (But theirs didn't stall.)

Thread: Problem with my micra already (sputters at 2500 RPM) ... Solved.

Did your check engine light stay on AFTER you re-started the car? If it stayed on, it's probably some other problem and the dealer will able to read the code to diagnose it.

you could have ... started it without stopping.
    Yes! You can re-start an engine while on the roll. Shift to neutral (just push the shifter forward -- you DON'T and shouldn't press the shifter button to move the shifter -- it will stop at N.) Then turn the key. Pull back into D when it starts.

Re-starting a stalled engine on the roll used to be part of the Young Driver's of Canada in-car training when I was instructor for them a million years ago. Probably still is (not sure).

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Please keep us updated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

astroz0mbies (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Yes! You can re-start an engine while on the roll. Shift to neutral (just push the shifter forward -- you DON'T and shouldn't press the shifter button to move the shifter -- it will stop at N.) Then turn the key.
    Thank you for the tip! I actually didn't know that you could restart the vehicle in neutral. (I mean, it makes sense. In that moment I wasn't quite thinking clearly.)

As for an update for you all, the dealer said it was some sort of intake malfunction as well as a sensor issue. I wish they would have given me a print out or something of the exact issue but they didn't and now I can't seem to remember what it was called. I'll ask them again when I have it back into the dealership. They had to order a part which won't be in until a week or so.

Did your check engine light stay on AFTER you re-started the car?
    I did. It was still on. It's actually still on as we speak. The dealership said it's safe to drive and that I shouldn't notice any stalling or jerky movements but I've been driving around for work today and I'm still feeling said movements. They're subtle but I can feel them.

And thanks for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by astroz0mbies; 09-01-2015 at 04:03 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to astroz0mbies For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    UPDATE: My car stalled twice on the highway today. Had to cancel all my clients for the evening again, which means I lose money. I'm pretty mad about it.

The tank was running a little low, so I decided to put some gas into it before driving 20 minutes to my next client. Just as I was about to leave the gas station... I couldn't. Everytime I put my foot on the gas pedal to accelerate, it would stall. Called Nissan again, they sent a tow truck (which took an hour to get to me, by the way), and my car is now sitting at the Nissan dealership again and I have a rental so I can work tomorrow. Kinda getting sick of losing money.

Fingers crossed they actually try to fix it this time. I get they have to order a part in but why not just let me keep the rental until they can take care of it? Seriously. I even asked if the vehicle was safe to drive and they assured me it was. Here I am stalling all over the place...

My apologies, I'm rambling! Will keep you all posted. I spoke with a couple people and they seem to also think it's a fuel issue. We'll see.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Any issues at traffic lights? Does the automatic transmission have a torque converter lock?
    1) The jerking back and fourth gets worse when idle or at stop lights/signs.
    2) I don't know. :x

Thanks
    That really bites, especially considering they assured you it was OK to drive.

At least you're in a different vehicle now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...