Thread: Anyone else move to a Micra from a Honda Fit? I'm considering this..and have some ?'s

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Anyone else move to a Micra from a Honda Fit? I'm considering this..and have some ?'s

first of all...I freaking love the idea of a 10 grand tin can! I cannot think of a car I would be more proud to show around that a car with wind up windows and no a/c!! And I'm being serious here!

In fact, I've never owned a car with a/c! 2 cars ago, my little 2000 Honda civic didn't have air, and it was never much of an issue. So, when I moved to a fit, I thought it wouldn't matter. But, with the Fit, it did! There is so much more glass in the fit, that it made the car a fair bit hotter inside. There have been a many a day when I regretted the FIT purchase. But, realistically...perhaps 5 days per calendar year. Certainly not worth a few thousand dollars for 5 days per year.

I'm wondering, how are you all finding the heat with the non manual S?

My thoughts are that I'm still wiling to go no a/c...but I think I will insist on a white car this time. It should take the edge off. And I love knowing that I save 3k or thereabouts.

Anyone who is familiar with Honda manuals, how do you find the Micra gear box? Clutch?

One last thing..I think I can get one in Quebec with no freight and PDI...did some or all of you manage to pull this type of deal too?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Yeah it's warm without a/c in a micra but like you said its not that many days that it is real bad and if you aren't stuck it gridlock or constrution it's not that bad. The gearbox shifts better than any civic that I have had in the past and I would say equal to but different than an Acura. The clutch pedal depresses very easily and engages where you would expect it to. I think I paid thirteen and change for my base out the door with the rustproof and tax and all.

Thanks
    white car black car does not matter as they are both black inside and yes...hot. I would not buy a car without AC...not worth the pain. But here it's really hot in summer, hot and humid so no can do. If you live in a cooler place, then yes probably.

The good thing with the Micra is that there is a very good draft whith the window open but it's anoying to drive on the highway with the windows open. You could always put window shades.

I went with an automatic transmission because I did not like how short the first gear was. I drove manual for 26 years before that and this is my first time buying an automatic. I prefer it for the Micra.

Best is you go and try it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    actually, lighter cars will keep the inside cooler.

The research is in : http://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-...rs-cooler.html

This is enough of a reason for me to get a white car...if I don't get a/c. Plus, this Micra looks really cool in white!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benareeno View Post
    I'm wondering, how are you all finding the heat with the non manual S?
    People can laugh, but it's not as bad with one of these:

It's still hot, but I find at least your clothes don't stick to your back.

Anyone who is familiar with Honda manuals, how do you find the Micra gear box? Clutch?
    I had an '07 Civic as a winter car last year, and after spending a couple of weeks in a base S manual, I prefer the feel of the Micra's shifter. The Civic's felt notchy and plasticky and generally cheaper. Clutch is lighter in the Micra, too. As for clutch feel, I've read a number of reports saying the engagement point is too vague, but I didn't have any problems with it.

But I also agree with Dani3d: 1st gear is so short as to be almost useless. And 5th is also too short. But you're probably already used to that coming from a Fit. They're pretty rev-happy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    yeah well...my car is white and it's like an oven in there when the sun shine. I don't see if that help at all that the car is white, it's still freaking hot in there. I can't imagine it being much hotter if it was a black car since there are a lot of windows and it's black inside. Maybe if it was light color inside or with tinted windows that would make a difference more.

If I did not have AC, I would definitely get the darkest tinted windows that the law permits.

Quote Originally Posted by benareeno View Post
    actually, lighter cars will keep the inside cooler.

The research is in : http://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-...rs-cooler.html

This is enough of a reason for me to get a white car...if I don't get a/c. Plus, this Micra looks really cool in white!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    it would be hotter with a darker color. Not to say what is a cure...but a degree or two or three could make a nice difference.

Alas...I am succumbing to the Nissan marketing genius, I think. I get lured over at the thought of a brand new car for 9998, and now I find myself really loving the SR!! I just love the body kit..and the bigger tires. Throw in a few stripes and some tints and you have a very cool looking car!

Also, I sat in the newest FIT and the Micra on Saturday...seating position alone makes me prefer the Micra. The FIT Is more like a mini-van or something. Honda has lost what it once dominated...my original generation FIT has a much better feel in the driver seat than the current FIT.

The Micra could be the beginning of something very special at Nissan...

Thanks
    Seating position: make sure you sit in/drive the S. It's got a different seat than the SV & SR (4-way adjustment vs. 6-way). I found the angle of the SV/SR seat cushion to be MUCH better in terms of thigh support, so better for longer drives.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    PS: you can always kit out an S with SR side sills & spoiler. Members here have done it. Then just add wheels of your choice.

Thanks
    yes but some had a very hard time having the kit installed properly even at the dealer and it's not aligned correctly or did not look as good as when done at the factory.

I choose the SR over the base model because I did not like seing the frame under the door and the kit definitly hide this ugly parts.

once you add all the goody to the S model, then you are about the same price as the SR. And the SR has much better seats, with much better support. With the SR you get:

-16'' tires with magwheels
    - AC
    - A better sound system
    - Better seats with better support
    - Fog lamps
    - Chrome accents
    - A nice body kit with rear spoiler
    - Backup camera
    - Chrome exhaust tip
    - Electric windows and door locks.
    - body color handles and mirror
    - bluetooth control on the wheel with voice command.
    - USB for intelligent phone or Itune.

There is no point buying the S model and having the kit, chrome exhaust, tires, wheels, better sound system, fog, etc...added to it, as it will end up maybe more expensive.

As for the stripes, it does make a huge difference! Surely jazz it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: you can always kit out an S with SR side sills & spoiler. Members here have done it. Then just add wheels of your choice.

Last edited by dani3d; 07-21-2015 at 12:32 PM.