Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can Nissan sell the Micra for $10,000 and still make money?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcane View Post
    So, I don't normally pay much attention to new car ads, but three TV ads recently caught my attention. Local dealers had ads for three different vehicles at under $10,000 (with all available discounts, which I presume few people get all of them)
    • Kia Rio: $9100 or so
    • Kia Soul: $9998
    • Jeep Patriot: $9998 (See attached image from dealer website)

So, while MSRP may be higher, I was surprised to see other vehicles that may be in the same price range here in the States. I'm guessing those Jeeps aren't selling well and they need to unload inventory because they were WAY under MSRP.
    You got me excited!
    To be honest, I would rather get a jeep than a micra

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edvc520 View Post
    You got me excited!
    To be honest, I would rather get a jeep than a micra
    It's not a real jeep; it just looks like one. At that price, it's a FWD box with crappy handling, mediocre fuel economy, craptastic build quality, and a Playmobil interior. My Micra will run circles around it in every respect.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    It's not a real jeep; it just looks like one. At that price, it's a FWD box with crappy handling, mediocre fuel economy, craptastic build quality, and a Playmobil interior. My Micra will run circles around it in every respect.
    Yeah, if it were a REAL Jeep, it would be a 4WD box with crappy handling, mediocre fuel economy, craptastic build quality, and a Playmobil interior. I know, I have one. (And don't tell anyone, but I really like the POS!).

For those of us in the States, there is no Micra, and Nissan won't provide one. I was just surprised to find ANY other vehicles at the same price point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcane View Post
    Yeah, if it were a REAL Jeep, it would be a 4WD box with crappy handling, mediocre fuel economy, craptastic build quality, and a Playmobil interior. I know, I have one. (And don't tell anyone, but I really like the POS!).
    Don't dismiss the real offroad capability and the history; real jeeps can be a lot of fun in the right environment.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I beg to differ on the jeep, I owned one and the quality of the vechile is great. no craptastic interior as you mentioned. I had no issues with anything with my patriot other than I wanted a bigger rig and a removable top. The patriot is a fine vehicle that runs circles around its competition off road. You will be surprised with the capability of the patriot with the trail rated FDII package. it is very much a Jeep and will go virtually anywhere a Wrangler can go besides deep mud. Other than that its fair game.

Thanks
    While the interior is no worse than a base model Micra, the FDII package puts the Patriot well above the sub-$10k price.

Thanks
    True, but in 2010 they changed all interiors of the patriot and compass. Im just saying there is no craptastic build quality inside and out like you mention. Yes your micra will drive circles around it as its two totally different vehicles. On the flip side, You can also say you can't pack the micra with a full camping setup with everything needed for a week long adventure in the bush either. even the fwd patriot is very capable off road.

The micra will kill the jeep in gas milage however. Mine was NOT good. and my wrangler unlimited is not even in the same ball park as the micra. However my tires on my jeep are bigger than the micra. Two different tools for two different jobs.

I cannot wait to pick up our micra and get started putting the little mods on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    On the flip side, You can also say you can't pack the micra with a full camping setup with everything needed for a week long adventure in the bush either.
    Actually, you can just turn it into a camper:

All joking aside, camping in the bush was my favourite pastime when I owned my K10 Micra, and I could easily pack it with a week's worth of supplies for two and a canoe tied to the roof. It was packed to the ceiling, and with the 1.2L carbureted engine barely managed the speed limit on the highway, but it was doable. I plan on doing that again with the new Micra.

even the fwd patriot is very capable off road.
    So was my K10 Micra. I expect similar off-road capability from the new one.

The micra will kill the jeep in gas milage however. Mine was NOT good. and my wrangler unlimited is not even in the same ball park as the micra. However my tires on my jeep are bigger than the micra. Two different tools for two different jobs.
    With a shorter wheelbase, decent ground clearance, and lighter weight, the Micra might surprise you when going off road...I know my K10 surprised a lot of people, including me, when I successfully drove it down roads that were designated for 4x4 only.

I cannot wait to pick up our micra and get started putting the little mods on it.
    Me too! I've waited long enough!

Thanks
    mine wont be venturing off road however, lowered and stiffer swaybars etc going on. My wrangler unlimited and suburban are the off highway choices. I use my tablets for navigation and im tying to find a mounting solution for the micra. Im thinking exogears mount for my 8" tablet.

Thanks
    Mine, on the other hand, will be my trusty companion for as long as I can make her last...maybe not forever, but at least as long as I can.