Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance

Thanks

Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance

I have driven my Micra SR on 401 for about 100 km. At about 120 kph. It seems to hold the road well enough and is comfortable so far.
    I am cosidering driving to Florida from South Western Ontario and was wondering if anyone has done such a trip. If so how was the seat comfort after say several hundred kms in a day and how did it keep up with traffic paticularly in cross winds?
    Thanks

Thanks
    I did a trip from Trenton ontario to truro nova scotia, 15-16 hours straight across 4 provinces. It was not a problem in my micra S and the little micra had no problems keeping up to the 120-140 average speeds through the 401 and quebec. I even drove on the highway when the tropical storm hit with huge winds and 100kph wind gusts.

They do get knocked around a little bit in the wind, but no different then any small, high car in its class and I didnt feel scared or leave a lane. But you could defintially feel it.

The only "mod" I did was that I put an armrest into the car by putting a squishy pillow between the front seats. Mine is a micra S and doesnt have the factory one.

You wont have a problem going to florida. My trip was 1400km in one shot. 2.5 tanks of fuel. It was a breeze.. I was a bit uncomfortable at the very end of the trip, but I wasnt sore at all.. Im sure Metro could pipe in, but the best thing you could do for a long trip is a beaded seat cover. Keeps the heat off you and keeps you nice and dry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

A group of us drove to Quebec from Ontario.
    When I drove back it was on the 401.
    I have no complaints. I've been in all sorta of cars and I've had more expensive ones be less comfortable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Did Catskill Mtns. to Peterborough in one sitting through heavy snow last February and it did great. I have the SV so it's the same seat, but I'm a small framed person (5'9 and approx 150lbs)
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

Thanks
    Thanks for the info folks. I am convinced now that the Micra will be going to Florida.I just joined in on this Micra forum amd have never done anything like that before.
    Obviously a great tool to hear from fellow owners, no better source than that! I will check back in and share my driving experiemce when I'm back.

Micra Roger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to roger micra For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (12-21-2015)

Thanks
    Roger Micra: Take a photo of your Micra with some palm trees when you get there. I bet there are few if any Micras down there in FLA.

Howie: don't forget the Micra SV & SR have 6-way seats (vs. 4-way). Seat comfort is an individual thing, but I find the SV/SR bottom seat cushion angle to be much more comfortable than the S seat.

I wouldn't hesitate to take an SV/SR on a long journey. But I think I'd mod the seat cushion of the S, personally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I did about 10 000 km in two months. I have the MT - 5 transmission and with the lower gear ratio, I found driving about 120 Km/h and above a little loud due to the higher RPM. Gas consumption suffered. Also found the oil consumption also increased with a litre used in about 2000 KM of high speed highway driving, so I would try to check your oil at every gas fill up and carry extra with you on a long trip. Also depends on terrain. Most of my route involved high speed, high mountain pass driving between Vancouver Island, Kamloops and Kelowna. Posted speed limits are 120 km/h and highway grades are anywhere from 6 - 9 % for kilometers at a time. Although the Micra was mechanically up to the task, fatigue set in quickly through the shoulders and the upper thigh for me. I think if I were a person of smaller stature (I'm 6'3") it would be more comfortable. Generally was impressed with long distance in this car, even with passengers. I wish Nissan would make a 6 speed manual for the Micra, it would be very sweet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra sv manual: 6.9 L/100 km ... 40.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.4 km/L ... 34.0 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ijamie For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-03-2017),WalkingBlackBear (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger micra View Post
    I have driven my Micra SR on 401 for about 100 km. At about 120 kph. It seems to hold the road well enough and is comfortable so far.
    I am cosidering driving to Florida from South Western Ontario and was wondering if anyone has done such a trip. If so how was the seat comfort after say several hundred kms in a day and how did it keep up with traffic paticularly in cross winds?
    Thanks
    For what it's worth - I haven't read the other replies - but I commute 120km a day, 60k each direction, about an hour. I do about 30k on the 401, and 30k on Highway 6.

I have the Micra S, which has absolutely no comforts. I'm about 190cm tall.

It's fine, honestly. I have a little bluetooth module to listen to podcasts, and I'm happy. The only thing I wish is that the gearbox was a 6-speed, rather than 5, but whatever.

I'm gonna make an 800k trip to Chicago in June, so we'll see how that goes with no A/C, but I'm not anticipating any problems.

I'm thrilled with this little car.

Thanks
    ^ I know a little off topic, but can you snap a pic or give a model of your bluetooth module? Thanks! Ive been looking for one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I took the car on a couple distance trips, 1. PEI. 2. Connecticut. Car is fine for long distances. Seats are comfortable (one of the reasons I bought the car). Only issue I have is in high winds causing some necessary correction in the steering, otherwise it is quite controlled and holds the road well even at higher speeds. With the automatic, the overdrive takes some of the drone out of the engine, relaxing it around 3000-3200 rpm at over 110 km/h. You'll get stares in the states as the car doesn't exist down there.
    Enjoy the drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.0 L/100 km ... 35.4 mpg (Imp) ... 12.5 km/L ... 29.5 mpg (US) ...