Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you appreciate the VDC? (Vehicle Dynamic Control)

Thanks
    Hi all!

I love the VDC, I drive quite fast, overtaking and changing lanes. Especially when wet or there's gravel, and even in roundabouts the system is really useful. The engine management long with the abs system manages the safety while I can press the accelerator and the system keeps me safe. It cuts the fuel and applies the brakes itself when needed and once all is ok and the potential danger passes it continues to obey the acceleration request, without my requirement to let it go of the acceleration pedal.
    Also in gravel and sand it keeps the vehicle very safe. I've tried the system in sand and gravel and the difference when this is ON or OFF is like day and night. It's only then when I realize that all these years the vehicle had an internal angel guarding me. In most situations the vehicle would cut fuel and apply light braking in such way that it is not felt by the driver, keeping a straight line. With the system off even in straight line the vehicle would tend to overspin the tire with less traction which would cause discomfort and would have a tendency of causing understeer or oversteer based on the surface. With the system on this is not happening and inside the cabin everyone feels like the vehicle is on tarmac. No overspin or tendency of over/understeering.

Thanks
    So it's tied to the traction control button?
    First car: 1984 silver Nissan Micra
    Current car: 2016 Gun Metallic Nissan Micra SV

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    So it's tied to the traction control button?
    Yes, your VDC is traction control and stability control in one. There are times when its not needed or should be turned off but for day to day and in bad weather its does a lot more then you may know if you're a spirited driver.

It doesnt deactivate your ABS tho which is good, the ABS works great in the car. If it comes on just lighten off the pedal and reapply force, works great.

Thanks

VDC - how do you turn if OFF?

Good morning Micra people, I finally picked up my Micra on friday. I have been trying to turn off VDC, not because I want to drive that way, I was just curious as to how to turn if off for when I actually need too. I've tried pressing in the button quickly, holding it down, clutch in, clutch out, while driving and while still, handbrake up and down, the light just doesn't come on in the dash.
    Anyone figured out how or do I need to take this up with the dealer ?
    and yes I RTFM

Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Micra SV manual: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hey , congrats polarbe4r!

I moved your post into this existing thread on the topic - hope you don't mind.

VDC: on any car I've driven, to turn if off, the car must be ON & running. You press and hold the button until the VDC icon lights up on the cluster. Roughly 3 to 5 seconds.

Hopefull someone here will confirm (or correct!).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hey , congrats polarbe4r!

I moved your post into this existing thread on the topic - hope you don't mind.

VDC: on any car I've driven, to turn if off, the car must be ON & running. You press and hold the button until the VDC icon lights up on the cluster. Roughly 3 to 5 seconds.

Hopefull someone here will confirm (or correct!).
    NP! Thanks for moving it in the right thread

that was my initial test on my car, and nothing happens...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Micra SV manual: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Might want to check and make sure the button is actually connected, the light should come on when pressing it once with the car running.

As for my experience, I put my worn all-season factory tires on last year, then we had a freak snow storm. Driving into work along Highway 407, that light stayed lit almost the entire way; I'm certain it kept my ass end from coming around front a few times on that commute. I definitely leave this on when driving on the highway at all times; as the Micra is short and light in the rear, so I think it would spin out rather easily without it.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    No doubt! I may need to turn it off going up the road to my buddies cottage in northern quebec. Muddy and slushy, so I'd rather have the option to not have it on in case it does keep me from making it up there. I will contact the dealer today and have them look, after I've made sure the button is connected of course.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMicra23 View Post
    The VDC helps makes the cleanest 90* turns
    Apologies for bringing up an old post (this is my 1st post), but is there any way to Make so the VDC is in OFF position when I turn the car on?
    I find that it causes “problems “ & keeps coming on whenever I use a bit of handbrake to assist with tight 90deg turns, it also bounces the front end while trying to smoke the wheels, which is frustrating.
    Last edited by SubEtherBASS; 11-29-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    To my knowledge there's always some form of traction control or other electric assistance - the two modes of disabling it (both press and hold options), never truly turn it off and makes for quite the annoyance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...