Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tachometer to connect to OBD connector

Thanks
    Ajijic and MetroMPG got me tearing apart my car now.

Anyhow, I was looking at Ajijic's picture and got to thinking.... is that the backside of the connector? So I decided to remove said connector from my car. Real pain to get it back in though but worth the effort as you can see that it is identical to Ajijic's. I'm wondering if they installed it backwards (upside down) in his car. See attached picture of backside of Canadian Micra ODB2 port..

Name:  DSCF0462.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  88.9 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LilGeckos For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-18-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LilGeckos View Post
    Ajijic and MetroMPG got me tearing apart my car now.

Anyhow, I was looking at Ajijic's picture and got to thinking.... is that the backside of the connector? So I decided to remove said connector from my car. Real pain to get it back in though but worth the effort as you can see that it is identical to Ajijic's. I'm wondering if they installed it backwards (upside down) in his car. See attached picture of backside of Canadian Micra ODB2 port..

Name:  DSCF0462.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  88.9 KB
    Is this picture the backside of YOUR ODB2 port? Could you show a pic of the front of the connector? Where is the exact location of this connector in the car? The mystery continues...?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajijic View Post
    Is this picture the backside of YOUR ODB2 port? Could you show a pic of the front of the connector? Where is the exact location of this connector in the car? The mystery continues...?
    Yep, this is what it looks like from the back.
    Post #14 in this thread shows the front side.
    It's a female connector right beside the release tabs for hood/fuel door.
    It's hanging down on the wire once I removed the screw and got it out of the plastic clip, so I had to hold it still to get a good picture.
    Last edited by LilGeckos; 10-18-2015 at 05:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LilGeckos For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (10-18-2015)

Thanks
    That is so strange. Waiting for reply from Ajijic next after he checks the other side of his...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That is so strange. Waiting for reply from Ajijic next after he checks the other side of his...
    I believe that the connector can be accessed from the front, if the panel covering it below the steering column (just to the right of the hood release latch) can be removed. However this seems to be a problem since I can't find any screws to remove it, and I don't want to snap it into pieces! Any suggestions would be apprenticed...

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/locat...Nissan-march-4
    Last edited by Ajijic; 10-21-2015 at 12:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've just bought from e-bay this HUD OBD II reader, so now I have a water temperature gauge!

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/iFound-H...QAAOSw0HVWEq5k

I'm pretty satisfied with the product. Just plug-and-play in the OBD port. It was easy to run the wire along the front door seal. Windshield display is pretty good if using the provided plastic screen on the windshield, but I hate the look of it so I use the device without this cheap plastic film and it's fairly acceptable. It is possible to put pre-set alarm points for the speed, RPM, water temperature and battery voltage, which is quite convenient.

One great suprise, though : vehicle speed from OBD port is the exact same as on the dashboard, so with about a 10 % discrepancy from the speed according to my GPS.

But beeing able to monitor the water temperature in real time is a great improvement!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    I was looking for one of these myself but the one I was looking at is different. I knew that you just plug them in and they work. I was hoping for a corrected speed signal and a water temperature gauge. Thanks for trying one out and letting us know that a film is required for a good reflection. It would seem that the cars computer is incorrectly calculating the speed and passing this to the dashboard cluster and OBD II port. Nissan should be able to fix this speed problem then by re-flashing the computer.

Where did you mount yours? In front of you or off to the side. I was thinking of the center dash myself since it's flat there.

Thanks
    Very odd: speed/distance was reported correctly via OBD-II when I checked in the Micra I had on loan. Only the needle was wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I've mounted it on the left side, next to the A-pillar base, so it is not too annoying in my field of vision. Surface of the dashboard there is not flat, but it sits in balance without moving on the provided vinyl mat, which is a bit sticky.

I will add some pictures later on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Here it is :

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  95.1 KB

A bit blurry on the picture, but really clear for real

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  83.6 KB

And the ultimate poseur accessory

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  97.5 KB

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papapoil For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (04-05-2016),MetroMPG (04-05-2016)