Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How's your Micra's stability on the highway? (Frequent negative comment in reviews.)

Thanks
    Perhaps lowering the suspension with wider tyres? I can't see much more that can be done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Nismo website has a front under spoiler side deflectors and rear roof spoiler for the k13 march.I will take the part numbers to nissan tomorrow and see about price availability and fitting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

AdamMurphy94 (06-04-2015)

I had 15x5.5 + 50 now 16x7+40 with 205/50R16

Its is let jumpy and less prone to lane changes under heavy winds.
    Which was the case when the 15's were on. I would move, id look to see if other cars were affected by the winds. Nope.
    Now i move when other cars move.

The suspension and chassis braces and strut bars will also help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I just did a 3.5 hour run in my Micra along the 401 onto the 402 and back and the car is quite stable with the speeds I was running. I ran at 110 to 120 km and drove along behind transports, large suvs and had transports and numerous cars pass by me. Car didn't do anything out of the ordinary in reaction to cross winds or vehicles passing by me. Following the transports you could feel the wind buffeting off the trailer but once inside the zone that all was relatively calm. I never follow transports as a rule, but I wanted to try the car out. And just to remind me why I don't follow transports just outside London on the 401 going in the opposite direction a transport blew off one of its tires from its trailer. Rubber flying every where and luckily no cars near it. All in all the car is stable. Winter winds will be the next test.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    And just to remind me why I don't follow transports just outside London on the 401 going in the opposite direction a transport blew off one of its tires from its trailer. Rubber flying every where and luckily no cars near it. All in all the car is stable. Winter winds will be the next test.
    Oh wow - I was on the same stretch of highway Sun and Mon this week with my Micra...it handled well (my first longer highway drive with it) but yes, I'm always wary of those transports.

Thanks
    Yep that is the first time in all the years of driving I've witnessed a tire blow out. I have seen a Volvo flipping end for end down the middle of the 401 median down by Waterloo, I've seen the tarp blow off a tractor trailer and fly over top of traffic before it landed harmlessly on the 400 near Barrie, I've seen a mattress launch off the roof of a car on the 400, a trailers gate come off the trailer and go right under my car ($300 damage to my car) on the 400. I've had cars smack each other right next to me and one of the cars now directly in front of me doing 70 mph in reverse while I am braking and almost smacking his front end and some how we didn't hit and he went backwards into the ditch on the 401 near Kingston. That guys eyes were bigger than his face and his female passenger was screaming the whole friggin time. I had a Corvette go by me about a mile N of Barrie on the 400 had to be doing well over 100 mph and suddenly in the distance I could see dust rising over the highway, arrived within seconds and the car was completely flat and three other cars all smashed to heck. I'm considered by my grandkids as an old fart driver, but being an old fart driver has pretty much given me an observers seat in most incidents I have witnessed and I like it that way. You'll know its me in my Micra or my Chrysler 300 because I'm the guy only going 5k over the limit, no more no less and much safer.

Thanks
    hehe cmon man....

doncha wanna soemtimes go a bit....a bit fast?

Thanks
    At first I though the Micra was unstable on highways on a windy day.... then I drove a Smart fortwo on a highway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I hate to bump an old thread but this is my "street bike" I had it out today its tall and light like the micra and has about the same top speed. After blasting by a few transports today I have to say the micra is a very stable vehicle.
    You beat me to it! I haven't driven much in the wind with this car, but it sure beats my 250cc Dual sport bike in the wind. And it's drier in the rain! It's all part of the experience I figure, keep's one attentive.
    As far as short wheel bases go, it's a lot more stable than my old Datsun's 90" wheelbase at speed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callmemister View Post
    At first I though the Micra was unstable on highways on a windy day.... then I drove a Smart fortwo on a highway.
    HA!

I would like to revive this thread to add the 2003 Suzuki Aerio to the list:

Name:  2007-suzuki-aerio-rearside_scaersed072.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  24.2 KB

It's a relatively tall & narrow car, and I had the displeasure of driving my friend's on the highway on a moderately windy day (say 30 km/h wind) and it was TERRIBLE. Constant steering corrections required.

I've driven my 1998 Firefly for 12 years in all kinds of conditions, and never has it felt as unsettled as this larger, heavier Aerio did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...