Thread: Nissan cancelling Versa sedan in favour of $10,000 Micra

Thanks

Nissan cancelling Versa sedan in favour of $10,000 Micra

Name:  versa-micra2.jpg
Views: 4077
Size:  20.0 KB

A report from Automotive News today reveals that Nissan is dropping the Versa sedan from its Canadian lineup to focus on the $9,998 Micra as its entry level vehicle.

Nissan will replace its low-selling American-focused Versa sedan with the Micra -- styled and packaged with European consumers in mind.
    According to Nissan VP for North American product planning Pierre Loing, the Versa sedan never had the sales numbers in the Great White North that it had in the US.

"The Versa sedan didn't do well in Canada and we are stopping it now, with the introduction of the Micra," Loing says. "The Micra will be more to their liking."
    Loing says the change in strategy is due to the "European-centric" tastes in the more populous eastern part of the country, where buyers are "more biased for a hatchback."

Read the full article (may require subscription) -- Nissan adds Micra, cuts Versa sedan in Canada

Another source says

the “buyer split” between the Versa sedan and hatchback is 90 per cent in favour of the latter.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17079091/

---

UPDATE -- see also Versa sedan sales numbers (Canada vs. U.S.), sedan cancellation

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Can you see if you can get some of that good sense shipped over the border? Sedans are pretty pointless in my mind. Hatchback/wagon is like putting a trunk on top of your trunk. Don't even get me started about the vast amount of cargo room that appears when you fold the rear seats down, too. And hostages/children can't get locked in them. Think of the children!

Thanks
    I wonder why they don't try to sell both at the same time? I realize it will cannibalize Versa sales, but it would also give them a look at what would happen if they brought the Micra to the US.

Thanks
    That would be interesting!

Plus, there are surely some people who want a cheap sedan over a cheap hatchback, regardless. (Witness Mitsubishi making plans to bring the Mirage G4 sedan to Canada & probably the US too.)

Quote Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
    Sedans are pretty pointless in my mind.
    I'm a hatch fan, myself. But there are a couple of good (rational) arguments for sedans...

- more cargo space IF you've got a car full of passengers
    - more crush space in the event of a rear crash
    - better aerodynamics (if properly designed)

And hostages/children can't get locked in them. Think of the children!
    Were you locked in a trunk once? Traumatic memory?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thats a surprising development. The Versa is actually pretty large for it's msrp. At least they're keeping the one with the better looks.

Thanks
    Posted a thread that looks at the Versa sales numbers of Canada vs. US for comparison.

Thread: Versa sedan sales numbers (Canada vs. U.S.), sedan cancellation

Thanks
    Here is another article on the versa sedan's cancellation:

Nissan Versa sedan to retire in 2015

Tim Franklin, Senior Manager, Product Planning for Nissan Canada said during a phone interview that there would be too many subcompact choices in the company's Canadian product line-up. "The 2015 Nissan Micra will hit the market in a few weeks, and is definitely well-suited for Canada. It will offer better options, a more competitive price, European style, and a hatchback, which is an important detail for small-car buyers in our country."

A slightly redesigned Nissan Versa sedan is scheduled to appear at the New York Auto Show in April, but obviously won't be offered on the Canadian market.
    A few weeks eh? Cool!

Thanks

full circle

Updating this old thread because what comes around goes around...

Thread: Micra to be replaced in 2020 by new Versa sedan in Nissan Canada's line-up