Thread: Brake fluid flush at 1y/24000KMS - Is this really needed?

Thanks

Brake fluid flush at 1y/24000KMS - Is this really needed?

I just took my Micra in for an oil change and the service tech was recommending a brake fluid flush/replacement for ~$140.

Is this really needed after just over a year of driving with 24,000kms? I've never had that recommended on any other new car I've owned.

Thanks,
    -Ian

Thanks
    Brake fluid absorbs water (hygroscopic), and should be replaced as per the manual instructions, typically every 2 years along with all "brake like" (hydraulic fluid), i.e. clutch. It's cheap insurance to maintain the cylinders and lines free of rust, you'll be glad you did in the long run...

Why Change Brake Fluid?

So consider this: After three years of service, the average boiling point of the brake fluid has dropped to a potentially dangerous level because of moisture contamination and may not meet minimum federal requirements for brake fluid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm also replying on Ajrjik post. I drove my 1989 honda civic si for 355,000Km (got it from my sister for free at around 150,000KM) and never had a brake fluid flash. I asked my sister if she had any brake fluid flash done. She said no. I did top it off when the reservoir was in the medium range. I noticed the color of the brake fluid is still clear in the reservoir too. With over 30 years of owning new or used vehicles, I'm a DIY repair person now. I've learned a lot about vehicle maintenance. I call this Nissan "scheduled brake fluid flash" a value added profit. Nonsense.

I just changed the brake lines (and did the brake line fluid bleeding) on my 1997 chevy astro with 367,000Km in July 2017. The brake fluid on this van was never flash until a front brake line burst due to rust. When I inspected the brake fluid on this van's brake fluid reservoir, the fluid was clear as spring water (original manufacturer filled brake fluid).

Now, I own a 2015 Micra S. I'm going to observe the brake fluid degradation on this car for years to come. On my fourth oil and filter change in June 2017, the service representative told me that a brake fluid flash is recommended (at only 38,000Km!) I said no. With all this technological advances we have today, is yesterdays brake fluid inferior than today's brake fluid? Synthetic engine oil last up to 80,000Km, how about that! Well now, Brake fluid change every 24,000Km!? I don't think so.

Thanks
    So intervals of oil changes go up and brake fluid goes down? Isn't brake fluid suppose to be done at 5yr/100,000 for other manufactures?

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 4.55.08 AM.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  22.1 KB

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Brake system on any car is closed (meaning the air in the system had been replaced by brake fluid). There is air on the top surface of the brake fluid in the brake fluid reservoir; but just as long as there is no air bubble in between the brake caliper and brake fluid reservoir your braking operation would function just fine. 100,000KM or 5-year brake fluid change (flash/replace the old fluid) is fine. With my driving experience of over 30 years and DIY maintenance knowledge, changing/flashing/replacing the brake fluid every 24,000KM is a rip-off (value added profit). I am not a scientist but brake fluid of today is better than before (it last longer). Higher pressure causes temperature to increase (gets hotter). Brake fluid must have high temperature tolerance so that it will not burn (like a cooking oil burns on a hot pan) when tremendous pressure is exerted on it during emergency braking (brake pedal to metal). I wonder what kind of a brake system an electric car have? Hydraulic or Hydraulic-Electric Motor-Combination?

Thanks
    According to my 2016 Owners Manual the brake fluid is actually due every 12 months or 16000 Kms.
    The 2017 manual states that in Canada we should follow the "severe maintenance" schedules that changes the
    brake fluid replacement from 24000 to 16000 kms.
    This is from the Nissan owners manual not some dealer "recommended schedule" that we have all seen posted at service departments.
    My thinking is Nissan must have recommended this for a reason.
    I have had the ABS activate on an icy road & there was a lot noise coming from under the hood, I would assume the
    traction control activating would sound the same.
    Perhaps the brake/ABS fluid gets dirty quicker on these cars, especially when driven in "severe" conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    You hit the nail on the head. The reason they call for the brake fluid flush is because it isn't a simple brake system anymore. The anti-lock, anti skid, traction control portion of the system has PUMPS in it - and they will cost a bundle if you let water take them out. Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs water. water will destroy the brake system active components such as pumps.
    Everyone should do themselves a favour and follow this part of the manual...

Thanks
    I did some checking & in Canada many Nissan models require the brake fluid replaced at either 16000/24000/32000 kms, so it's not just the low cost Micra affected.
    Check out this link;

http://www.nissan.ca/en/owners/service-maintenance/maintenance-schedules.html#[/url]!