Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange, interesting, odd quirks & features of the Micra

Thanks

Strange, interesting, odd quirks & features of the Micra

Have you discovered any odd, weird, interesting things about the Micra?

Here's one I learned today:

If you want to flip the windshield wiper arms up to wash the car, you have to flip the driver's side first or it'll clash with the passenger side and won't stay up:

Name:  wipers-up-clashed.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  64.1 KB

I wonder if this is because of our weird "bent" right side wiper arm to meet the minimum swept area regulation.

Name:  wipers-up-success.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  44.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I found an interesting quirk that I haven't seen mentioned here yet...
    Anyone ever turn off the traction control by pushing the button above your left knee?

Instead of just pushing the button and turning it off, try holding that button down until the "DSC OFF" light turns off, and then you can't turn it back on until you shut the car off and start it again.

When you turn DSC off, it's not really off. It's just allows you to spin the tires a bit in case you get stuck in snow etc... Try doing what I've posted above and ripping around. It COMPLETELY disables any electronic stability controls.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Hideous For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    This is the first car I have had where if you are at a red light with your foot on the brake pedal with your wipers on you can actually feel the wiper action in your foot on the brake pedal. I ran mine all winter with that electronic stability control off completely. I find it very annoying in the winter. I also found it odd that I was able to hang with a 90 civic si last night on the way home from work for the first three gears time after time at the red lights.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

pilip948 (11-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hideous View Post
    Anyone ever turn off the traction control by pushing the button above your left knee?

Instead of just pushing the button and turning it off, try holding that button down until the "DSC OFF" light turns off, and then you can't turn it back on until you shut the car off and start it again.

When you turn DSC off, it's not really off. It's just allows you to spin the tires a bit in case you get stuck in snow etc... Try doing what I've posted above and ripping around. It COMPLETELY disables any electronic stability controls.
    wait what? so pushing it once when it says tcs off and the swerve icon is not off? or is partially off?
    holding it down disables completely ? what is the dash icon for this?

ive noticed a lot of things .

throttle body has coolant running to it so it is temp. regulated. so does the oil filter so it warms the oil to operating temp better.

the evap and breather (air oil separator ) are neat.

and from what it looks like, everything is there to support the install of a/c. love it.

rear suspension was super easy to do. im sure ill think of more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    People on the versa forum are redirecting coolant via a t around the intake in warm climates and or the summer months. I thought the thing behind the oil filter was to help cool the oil not warm it up as coolant temps are lower than oil temps. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People on the versa forum are redirecting coolant via a t around the intake in warm climates and or the summer months. I thought the thing behind the oil filter was to help cool the oil not warm it up as coolant temps are lower than oil temps. Hmm.
    at start up the coolant would heat up faster then the oil. so this would aid in stabilizing the "warm up" process

this way the whole engine is the same temp +/- a few degrees.

coolant temps are 175-205'F
    oil (in my skyline was 70-90'C) or about 210'F so maybe to cool? but seems like it more or less to keep the whole engine regulated at the same temp. good idea for an alloy engine.

my scangaugeii displays air intake temps between ambient ( maybe 65F ) and I think 160F was the highest ive seen so far.

the air barely touches the t/b then enters a plastic intake that has fresh air hitting it.

so it really doesn't do much except in winter. no point in mucking about unnecessarily.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I agree totally about not messing around redirecting the coolant away from the throttle body. As far as the thing beside the oil filter goes it was the first thing I noticed when I opened the hood at the dealership. On older Honda's the performance motors had it and the economy motors didn't (e.g. si ZC b series vs. dx or lx) so it must be good. ;p

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hideous View Post
    I had noticed this is the first car where simply touching the button makes an immediate change. All the other cars I've tried require you to press and hold for several seconds to disable either traction control or stability control depending on the button.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I had noticed this is the first car where simply touching the button makes an immediate change. All the other cars I've tried require you to press and hold for several seconds to disable either traction control or stability control depending on the button.
    Whew... I was like... Unmm i just click it once for off, and the icon says "off"
    Then tires start making noise

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I agree totally about not messing around redirecting the coolant away from the throttle body. As far as the thing beside the oil filter goes it was the first thing I noticed when I opened the hood at the dealership. On older Honda's the performance motors had it and the economy motors didn't (e.g. si ZC b series vs. dx or lx) so it must be good. ;p
    yuppers.. Kinda makes you wonder. Should you ...
    A: supercharge like the hr12--- cons : $$$ lots of mods, low end power top end tapering off
    B: turbo and water-air cooler ( battery relocation)
    C: turbo and top mount intercooler and hood vent
    D: turbo no intercooler and water ( or water methanol) injection
    E: $500 versa engine high comp. N/a wmi
    F: k9k diesel swap.
    G: juke engine swap.
    H: ga16 swap
    I: sr20 swap ( so dated and played out)
    J: nismo 3cyl 40kg engine... 400ps 40.0 kg/m
    K: LS swap ( lmfao, ya.... Riiiiiiight)

Im clearing not using enough fossil fuel. Lol.