Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Review notes: 2015 Micra S 5-speed extended test-drive - Darin's thoughts

Thanks
    Wow I didn't know about that being external to the case that's slick. Any work I have done on four cylinder tranny's it was always to remove the diff and weld the spider gears so I had to split the case. Simply removing a cover and swapping out a gear would be like a quick change rear end on a RWD car!

Thanks

wrap-up: base cars ain't what they used to be

Name:  cn-caboose-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 8279
Size:  62.0 KB

Final thoughts

I've read multiple reviews where the writer says the base Micra brings to mind their old stripper base cars from days gone by. Just yesterday I saw a reader comment on Jalopnik about how the Micra is "one step away from horse & buggy."

Meant as a joke or not, it's nonsense. I've owned more than my fair share of base trim, entry level econoboxes, and this base Micra S is heads & shoulders above all of them in terms of refinement & features.

For fun, I like to point out all the options my Firefly lacked, starting with power steering or a radio. The punch line: you know the little switch that turns on the interior light when you open the door? It's only got one on the driver's door -- the passenger side has a blank in the hole where the switch should be. The joke on the Micra S everyone keeps making? "Manual windows & locks. Ha ha, what a Flintstones-mobile."

So for the benefit of people suffering from rose-coloured-glasses-syndrome about their old beaters brought on by driving the Micra, here's a list of stuff your old econobox probably didn't have that the new base Micra does:

• A modern engine with power & fuel economy features like continuously variable valve timing & dual fuel injection
    • Full instrumentation (base cars rarely had tachometers -- my Firefly has speedo, temp and a fuel gauge, that's it.)
    • Safety equipment like: 6 airbags, anti-lock brakes, stability & traction control
    • Full trip computer including dual trip meters & fuel economy. It used to be only the most expensive cars got that stuff.
    • A decent 4-speaker radio/CD with AUX input, and "soft" volume resume when turned on (a nice touch).
    • Lots of cupholders
    • Variable delay intermittent wiper setting. A rear wiper with intermittent setting.
    • Other little touches like 1-touch 3-blink lane change signal; interior lights "soft" on/off & auto-off if you leave a door open so you don't kill your battery.
    • Better NVH

Considering the base Micra is actually cheaper to buy today than a 1984 Hyundai Pony was back in the day, it's a marvel what we're getting for the money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-03-2015),IMPUL (06-24-2015),Pete (06-24-2015),pilip948 (05-16-2016)

Thanks
    I totally agree with that ^^^^^^. Have these people ever drove a base chevette, pinto, dodge dart (the old one) or even a civic from the 90s? Hello? This base has way more features than I wanted, I guess that means I'm old school but I like basic cars. I feel that there is less to go wrong , less weight and less to remove or work around when doing maintenance and modifications. The things I personally could do without are likely law mandated except the traction control but I could live without and even be happier if there were no air bags, abs and the stability traction control.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The things I personally could do without are likely law mandated except the traction control but I could live without and even be happier if there were no air bags, abs and the stability traction control.
    Sounds like you need a Micra Cup race car. All that is removed/deactivated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    way more features than you wanted? wow, you are not too demanding I wish I had keyless starter instead of putting the key in. And I could not live without the AC, bluetouth and electric windows...Those are essential bare minimum for me. As for the stability control, I was very much glad that I had it this past winter, because it saved me from the dish a fiew times...I consider that too, an essential here in Quebec with our winters and icy roads.

And I can pretty much assure you that if you hit something fair and square, you'll be glad you have the air bags to save you from a wheelchair or a coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This base has way more features than I wanted, I guess that means I'm old school but I like basic cars. I feel that there is less to go wrong , less weight and less to remove or work around when doing maintenance and modifications. The things I personally could do without are likely law mandated except the traction control but I could live without and even be happier if there were no air bags, abs and the stability traction control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    unless you are the michelin man himself, u gonna want TC and ESC. every bit as important as airbags, if not more (as the latter is reactive, while the former are proactive).

Thanks

speed vs. fuel economy

A last bit of housekeeping from my Micra S notebook...

I had a chance to do a set of speed vs. fuel consumption runs with this car like I did with the Micra SR automatic. Head over to the dedicated thread to see the (possibly surprising) results.

Name:  $$sm-speed-vs-mpg-2015-Micr.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  17.3 KB

Thread: Tested: Speed vs. MPG/fuel economy, 2015 Micra SR automatic & Micra S 5-spd manual