Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Driving Discount Device. (OBD logger for insurance)

Thanks

Smile My Driving Discount Device. (OBD logger for insurance)

My insurance company offered me and I signed up to install and use a driving monitor device with the hopes of reducing my insurance rates by up to 25%. It's installed on my new Micra and already it has emailed me and pointed out that I did a rapid acceleration of 12km in 1 second. That has given me new hope that my car is actually a lot faster than I thought because when people ask I've been saying 0 to 60 in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 05-27-2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: (added to title)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    My insurance company offered me and I signed up to install and use a driving monitor device with the hopes of reducing my insurance rates by up to 25%. It's installed on my new Micra and already it has emailed me and pointed out that I did a rapid acceleration of 12km in 1 second. That has given me new hope that my car is actually a lot faster than I thought because when people ask I've been saying 0 to 60 in about 10 minutes.
    I had that with Belair Insurance, I know Desjardins in QC offers also the same. At first I was careful.. but then i just didn't give a crap. lol.. still got 15% discount tho.

CMM

Thanks
    im always very suspicious about thigns like that.....you just completely lose privacy, for some unpromised discounts that they can worm themselves out of committing.

plus, dont you just wanna speed it up there once in a while , when no poilce are looking? cmon, admit it...

Thanks
    I do speed it up for sure. This little car moves right along.

In Ontario the gov't is about to legislate lower insurance rates. This device I have won't be on my car once I complete the 90 day surveillance. The company wants it back. But my bud, who also tried this device, got his 25% but the device remains in his truck and monitors so I guess each insurance company does this different. In the meantime no more power take offs.

Thanks
    I always figured the companies using that tracking are either charging high to begin with, or they are quicker to raise based on that 140 in the 100 to keep up with flow of traffic as it is safer and they can't see that..Think of my many trips on the 400 North to Barrie, or even on HMY 11, doing 125 commonly in traffic while it is posted either 80 or 90...Sometimes you just have to survive!
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I didn't think these devices monitor constant speeds. At least it's not on my device which shows number of quick accelerations - number of hard braking incidents - time of day/high risk periods usage. My friend's (different insurance co.) indicates those conditions as well but adds a GPS showing where the vehicle is at any given time. I guess my company was too cheap to do the gps thing.

Thanks
    I should probably get one of these too. My car (Firefly 1.0) probably doesn't accelerate fast enough to trigger any warnings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm curious how this device knows where you are and what the current speed limit is... Could you theoretically be doing 110km/h in a 30 zone and it wouldn't know the difference? Is it a gps? Alberta doesn't have these devices, I sure as hell wouldn't want one though. lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hideous View Post
    I'm curious how this device knows where you are and what the current speed limit is... Could you theoretically be doing 110km/h in a 30 zone and it wouldn't know the difference? Is it a gps? Alberta doesn't have these devices, I sure as hell wouldn't want one though. lol
    I had one of those in my Audi A4 B5, i found an old weekly update i receive from my insurance about that. Here's a screenshot:
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  90.5 KB

I don't think the GPS (if theres one) actually tracks your position, i think it only sends a feed about the speed/accelaration, and the time of driving. It's plugged in the ODB .. so I assume it would get all the information needed to do so.

CMM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to callmemister For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    yea...i would not be ok with such a device on my car. I'd have to "censor" my fun too much