Thread: Thoughts after a few tanks of fuel - Micra SV 5 Spd w/con pkg

Thanks

Thoughts after a few tanks of fuel - Micra SV 5 Spd w/con pkg

Well, I figured I would write a bit about my impression of the Micra after the first few tanks.
    After some poor customer service from the dealer, and delays for a week to actually get the ownership in my hand, I’m now driving around in a Black Micra SV w/ 5 Spd and the Con Pkg.
    Overall I am extremely happy with the car.

Now I was originally looking for a little car for the Gas Miser side of things, but I still wanted something fun to drive…The Mirca and Spark were the top of the list…but so were the Rio, Fit and Mirage. Micra having more power and the Chevy being the Car they don’t want to sell…very hard to find one in the area, and basically no chance to find a 5 Spd to test drive.
    Everything else just couldn’t compare to the price vs offering of the Micra. Some were a bit bigger, with more power and nice look, I could totally go for a Fit really, but for the added price, I just didn’t feel I got that much more for the extra dollars.

On the road, it feels solid, the suspension is well setup for daily driving on most normal roads, however, the commonly forgotten winter damaged roads with a bit of spirit thrown in for fun really make for some wheel chatter.
    But it keeps it composure all the way through the turn anyway. The tight turn radius is nothing but fun. Really brings back the go-kart feel, you’re not really pushing until you lift the inside tire off the ground. Ya, I think I’m going to use up some rubber on this car…
    I could stand a slightly more sporty ride, and tires with a little more grip, but really, for a stock commuter car, I think they have done pretty good.

Interior looks nice, the lines are well placed and doesn’t really have that cheap look. I have noticed that the plastics mark rather easily, which with two kids in the car will mean a beat up looking car in the rather near future.
    I packed up the boys and my 6 and 3 year old sons and I trucked off for a weekend in Prince Edward County to visit my dad. Sleeping bags for three, suitcases, toys, scooters, etc all packed in to the seemingly endless hatch back space. We only had our pillows in the front of the car. The little space that is in the back it very useable.
    I think this thing has the biggest glove box I’ve ever seen. Absolute great for storing a 6 pack, or bongos. But really, they could have added a few other spots to keep your belongings in an organized fashion.

I can’t speak to the Auto, but the Manual Transmission is quiet nice for a small car. The clutch is lighter than I like, but that is normal, still better than the Suzuki Swifts and such I drove a few years ago. Gear ratios are pretty good and there is a enough torque low down to get some really low shifts when looking for a few extra points on the MPG. It would be nice to have a 6 spd in here to take away some of the RPM at HWY speed. I’m sure that would add a few bucks to the base, but potentially add as an option? Although the engine is buzzy way nearing 4000 rpm on the hwy, it isn’t really noisy in the car. They have done a great job with the sound control from the engine bay.
    On the topic of noise. The windows do leak a bit much on the highway, but again, not too loud that you even notice after a few minutes. When reving up the engine and having some fun, there is some noise, but it is actually a comfortable engine noise and doesn’t sound like you are ringing the engine to death.

Really, I’ve looked at this car with several neighbours now, it really is hard to knock the thing when you think, on the road, tax, license and freight for 16.5K and it has every common feature of the $30K cars. Amazing really…

Pros
    Comfy
    Larger than it appears
    good handling
    Hwy Comfy, 4 hours in a single trip so far
    Has all needed features

Grips(These are petty grips really)
    more storage pockets
    flimsy oil dipstick tube.
    Info display: 2 or 3 data points.
    Instant and AVG L/100
    With OD should be displayed at one time
    small car should have fold flat rear
    Small cars should have fold flat passenger
    Seat Fabric on sides seems a little too light weight for long life…time will tell

--

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham18ce For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-08-2015),micrapolis (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Great review.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    I could stand a slightly more sporty ride, and tires with a little more grip, but really, for a stock commuter car, I think they have done pretty good.
    Agreed - it's pretty subjective of course, but I think the Micra's balance between ride & handling is really good. I take it you didn't drive the Mirage, because its steering & handling are awful by comparison. Or at least you would say that if you have even one ounce of "driving enthusiast" in your blood (although it rides like a 70's Cadillac, if that's your cup of tea).

Interior looks nice, the lines are well placed and doesn’t really have that cheap look.
    The main thing I don't like about the interior is it's a dark, sad place inside an otherwise cheerful looking car. "Any colour you like, as long as it's black!" Then again, the Micra's no outlier in the econobox segment with black-everything interiors.

It would be nice to have a 6 spd in here to take away some of the RPM at HWY speed. I’m sure that would add a few bucks to the base, but potentially add as an option?
    Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see it. Not a big enough market to justify the development & testing costs.

I think just a taller 5th gear would be easier & cheaper to do, however that would require people to downshift out of top gear for passing / climbing power. And car makers seem allergic to that idea, which sadly means a lot of wasted fuel and increased engine wear. Heaven forbid that anyone should ever have to downshift from top gear once they've got there!

small car should have fold flat rear
    Agreed! Or the fold/flip style in the Euro Micra that opens up a lot more space.

---

Thorough review! Thanks for posting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...