Thread: Financing the base S model

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Financing the base S model

Hello all!
    I have been anonymously stalking this forum for the past few weeks while I have been thinking about getting a new car.

First off I want to say that I have never bought a new car before, I have always bought used and paid cash, in my current situation that is not an option and I am getting tired of my cars needing work done after driving them for only a few of years.

I heard about the Micra and I think it will suit me perfectly, I am coming from a 2000 VW Golf that is just about at the end of its life, when I heard the Micra was just $10,000 it hooked me. Brand new car for $10,000 with a warrantee? Yes please!

So I went and test drove it, enjoyed it, and was ready to buy it. The dealer showed me the financing options and for the base S model the financing was 5.99%! Apparently the S model is a new car at a used car price with used car financing. He then showed me the next model up Micra which had 0% financing, and I tried to explain to him that I probably wouldn't even be looking at new cars if it wasn't for the price of the S, which is what I want. I asked him if that rate was non-negotiable since he did not even know my credit yet (I have a good credit score, own a house, willing to pay a down payment on the car), and he told me he could probably get me a 4.8% variable with the bank.
    Anyways long story short. I walked.

The thing is I still do want the Micra but not at those rates, those rates over 5 years is going to tack on an extra $2000 to the price tag. I am meeting with my bank today to see what they can do for me but I hear banks rates are usually higher than dealership rates.

Now my question to you guys is what do you guys think the chances are of the Micra S getting a promotion on their financing in the coming months? Or should I just bite the bullet and take what the bank gives me?

Thanks for the help, and yes, I am a cheap ass, frugal *******.
    Last edited by sirfudg; 04-25-2015 at 12:49 PM.