View Poll Results: What do you think about back-up cameras?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love 'em

2 18.18%
  • Leave 'em

4 36.36%
  • I could take it or leave it

5 45.45%

Thread: Back-up cameras mandatory on all new cars for 2018, says Transport Canada

Thanks

Back-up cameras mandatory on all new cars for 2018, says Transport Canada

Name:  back-up-cam.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  85.6 KB

Transport Canada has announced back-up cameras will be mandatory in new cars, taking effect May 2018.

I suspect that means we'll see the feature appearing about a year from now in 2018 model year vehicles appearing on dealership lots.

The department says it's a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.
    But really it's because the U.S. announced the same requirement, and our auto industry is so closely linked, we typically always mirror American auto regulations. (With rare exceptions like DRL's, which are mandatory here but not there.)

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rear...nada-1.3829460

Do you think backup cams are really necessary in small hatchbacks like the Micra which generally have good rearward visibility already?

One thing I like about them is they're useful for "precision" maneuvers, where you want to get the car extremely close (like 2 cm) to something behind. Aside from that, I'm not a huge fan of them. Particularly when the lens gets sun glare on it, or raindrops obscure it.

Has anyone tried the Nissan "all around" camera system? That does seem interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Some car have brutal blind spots and ****ty visibility out the back window. For those I can totally see the need for backup camera.
    Athough, if anyone need to use a backup camera on a car like the Micra.... I am sorry, but you shouldnt be driving a car.

What I have noticed is people start backing up without ever physically looking behind them. I think this is a dangerous habit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chef Groleau For This Useful Post:

pilip948 (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    yup, the camera will not show you vehicles/pedestrians/cyclists moving behind you and to the sides, only what's DIRECTLY behind you. With all driver aides, this takes away from the actual skill and knowledge of driving safely.
    Get your MICRA-FORUM.com decal HERE!!

Micra Meets: Loyalist Pkwy '15, '16 | Classique d'automne '15 '16 '17 '18 | Forks of the Credit '16 | Mosport '16 '17 '18

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptbo micra For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-19-2017),pilip948 (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    So since this thread was started, I have actually gotten a chance to try a car with the 360 degree / all-around camera system. It's pretty great. Again, most useful for parking in VERY tight spots.

camera will not show you vehicles/pedestrians/cyclists moving behind you and to the sides
    I also got a chance to try a new Buick with rear/side sensors, and THAT was cool. I put it in reverse, and before I had even turned my head around to check both sides, the car alerted me to a pedestrian approaching from the side. BY VIBRATING ONE SIDE OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT!

Also tried its auto-parking feature, which I think is also pretty useless. If you follow the prompts on the screen as instructed (put car in reverse... control vehicle speed with brake or gas ... put car in drive.... etc) it's incredibly slow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I pretty much agree with PTBO Micra. The camera can be nice, but totally negates the side view that you get when you actually just turn your head. Also, having it regulated to EVERY car sold is stupid and unnecessary. I'm sure on some vehicles its very nice though. This should ultimately be a manufacturer / customer decision, not a government one.

I do this crazy thing... I turn my head and body when necessary. And it's FREE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPUL For This Useful Post:

pilip948 (01-20-2017)