Thread: Beware the dipstick

Thanks

Exclamation Beware the dipstick

Skip to the bottom of this message if you just want to know what to do to prevent an issue.

The other day, my son, who is taking automobile mechanics in high school, asked me if I wanted him to check the oil in my Micra. I was close to being due for an oil change, so I thought it was a good teaching opportunity. He raised the hood, and said the dipstick seemed stuck. Being 15 years old, he has difficulty in lifting 30 lbs., so I told him to just tug a little harder. He did, and, to my surprise, not only removed the dipstick, but also the dipstick filler tube!

Did he just turn into the incredible Hulk? As it turned out, the dipstick was in fact stuck in the filler tube; apparently, the rubber seal is supposed to be oiled at every oil change. However, it didn't take incredible force to pull it out; holding the filler tube in one hand and the dip stick pull ring in the other, I was able to use only moderate strength to remove it from the tube. I put the tube back in the engine block, but I was unable to get it to stay in on its own, so I twisted a piece of #14 copper solid wire to secure the dip stick filler tube to the alternator power harness.

I made an appointment at Midway Nissan, and, after waiting an hour, the service advisor asked me how I changed my motor oil. I gave him the "Readers Digest" version. He then went on to lecture me about the importance of pre-filling the new oil filter before putting it on and of oiling the gasket on the dip stick, as well as twisting it before removing it. I had never done these things with any car I've owned, and I've nearly always done my own oil changes. I'm absolutely certain that pre-filling the oil filter is completely unnecessary, but I'll accept that the Micra's poorly designed dipstick, which lacks a hood to protect the rubber seal, would require this oiling, and probably at intervals greater than each oil change this time of year.

I got home and raised the hood to inspect the work, to find that my copper wire was still holding things together. I called back immediately; the service advisor reassured me it was tightened, and I could simply remove the copper wire. I did, and while the dipstick filler tube could not be pulled out of the engine block, it still flopped around. It was late, and I didn't have any more time. I decided to take it in to show him today.

When I arrived, the dealership manager asked me how I was making out with my Micra. I showed her the problem, and explained to her that a 15 year old boy should not be able to tear the dip stick tube out of a car that's less than a year old with one hand, and it certainly shouldn't be flopping around; she agreed. The service advisor I spoke with was practically running when he came out. After running between my Micra and the one in the showroom, he determined that the clip that held it in place was completely gone. I compared myself, and discovered that the clip that holds the dipstick tube is made out of plastic! Obviously, my dip stick tube wasn't completely secured, the gasket was a bit stuck, and it didn't take much force to destroy the plastic clip. My copper wire was probably a more permanent solution.

In any case, he promptly ordered the replacement part and made me an appointment for tomorrow at 3:00. His condescending tone was gone and had been replaced with a sheepish one.

Based on this, I recommend the following:
    1. Always keep the dipstick gasket oiled.
    2. Twist the dipstick before removing it.
    3. Hold the dipstick filler tube with one hand while removing the dip stick with another.
    4. Get a piece of aluminium wire and twist it on alongside the plastic clip to secure the tube. I recommend aluminium because it's less likely to react with the metal of the filler tube, though it would be a good idea to also disassociate the metals with some electrical tape around the tube at the point where the wire makes contact if you do go with copper.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-26-2015)

Thanks
    Mine stuck on me as well. I just twisted it at the time and it came out but now I will oil the rubber and secure the tube. Thanks

Thanks
    Holy crap, I missed this thread somehow. The dip stick tube pulling out from the block is absolutely not acceptable. Twisting it first is a good way to avoid the problem but you should not have to do that.

I avoid this problem because I never check the oil after the first oil change anyway, but it's good to know.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Just back from a 2000 kilometre road trip; first one with my Micra S. It was a great trip, and the car was far better than anticipated on the highways. Less wind noise than my old Forester, and more comfortable, too, I found. But on the way home, stopping for gas, I decided it was time to do the first check on the oil. I had read AlphaMicra's post earlier, or I may not have known what was up, when I gave a tug and filler tube came free-- I probably would just have thought Nissan had a strange dipstick! But I did know (thanks, Alpha!). In the poor light, I had some trouble trying to figure out if I had the tube back in place, as I could feel it wobbling around. Looking under the car, I saw the small, cheaply made, poorly designed clip. I pulled the tube again (really easy!), and put the clip back on, and pushed it back in, but could not get it to engage, or to stop being all wobbly. I cut my hand, trying! Decided to save that for better light.

After getting home and washing all the road crud off my car, I had a closer look with better light. I determined I had put the clip on upside down. Switching it around, and arranging it to intersect another little piece of plastic on the car, it clicked into place, and no longer does the dipstick wobble around.

Anyway, the filler tube took no strength at all to pull with the dipstick. And it would be super easy to not notice the little plastic clip beneath the car. I will be holding the filler tube with one hand when pulling the dipstick, in the future. Poor design on this part of the car. Everything else, so far, works better than hoped for.