Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cap loose message - Check engine light on dash

Thanks

Fuel cap loose message - Check engine light on dash

This has happened to me twice now. The first time, the "check fuel cap" message came on, and I got out and unscrewed the cap and tightened it again, and when the message did not go out, I did it again, and then I fiddled with some of the knobs on the dash and that message went out, but in a few minutes the "check engine" symbol came on.

I went up to the dealer, and they reset it.

The second time this happened, my gas was down to about three-eighths, so I went to the gas station and filled the tank. The "fuel cap" message went off and the "check engine" light never came on.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, patty.

I've had this happen in other cars before. Usual cause = fuel cap not replaced tightly enough. "3 clicks" say some owner's manuals.

Micra owner's manual says:

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)

If this indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a
    potential emission control malfunction. The may also come on steady if the fuel filler cap is loose or missing, or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel-filler cap
    is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least 3 gal (11.4 L) of fuel in the fuel tank.

After a few driving trips, the light should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists.
    I didn't realize the Micra had a dedicated dash light for a loose fuel cap! Sure enough...

If the LOOSE FUEL CAP warning message is displayed in the odometer, and the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The light should turn off after a few driving trips. If the light does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by a NISSAN dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer.
    Page 2-11 of the manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks for this info. Maybe I should just ask the dealer to replace the gas cap if this happens again (which I think it will). That shouldn't be too difficult or expensive for them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.4 L/100 km ... 38.0 mpg (Imp) ... 13.4 km/L ... 31.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    So.... as I said the "check fuel cap" messsage went off after I filled the tank, but the stupid engine light came on a few days later. I filled the tank again today hoping that would solve the problem, and then I tried the gas pedal deal to get a code and erase the light, but it didn't happen. I've had the engine light on for 4 or 5 days now. I'm going away (not with car) tomorrow for a week, so I guess I have no choice but to go back to the dealer when I get home :-(

Thanks
    Sounds frustrating. And what gas pedal deal is that? ( EDIT: never mind, found it: Reading DTC codes without a scan tool (check engine light))

Well enjoy your trip anyway. Let us know what happens when you get back?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    When I took it in, they found "a small evap leak... performed smoke test and found no leaks, suspect gas cap was loose at one time."

One of the service guys then told me to turn the cap until I heard ONE CLICK and then STOP turning it.

I need to go in for my 6 mo. checkup/oil change and am waiting until my gas level drops down to 1/4 or less (the "check fuel filler cap" notification usually comes on when I am about 1/3 full) to see if this happens again and then they can look at it again.
    Takes a long time for me to work through a tank of gas!!!!

Surprisingly, when I asked if they could change the fuel cap, they said "no." Seems like this has to be requested and authorized beforehand.

Being a woman in a garage is not fun....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to patty For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-15-2015)

Thanks
    No matter how hard I tried, I never could make that cap click more than once on the Micra. It seem to be the maximum on my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    Takes a long time for me to work through a tank of gas!!!!
    That's not a terrible problem to have.

Please keep us updated!

Also, consider adding your Micra's details in our garage: http://micra-forum.com/dto_garage.php?do=add

Thanks
    I got down to a quarter full and no little messages for me in words or icons on the dash, so I filled up and will just keep on drivin'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    I got down to a quarter full and no little messages for me in words or icons on the dash, so I filled up and will just keep on drivin'
    Hi Patty, curious if you ever got to the bottom of this issue. I have been having a similar experience. I once had the loose fuel cap light, I tightened it then fiddle with the button on the dash and it went away. It was about a year ago. Now the check engine light came up, I tried the same as I did last time I had the loose fuel cap message but it didn't work. However, the check engine light disappeared after I fueled up.

I got a code reader machine and it says P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected which sounds alarming but since the check engine light disappeared, I'm confused if the issue is pressing or I should wait for it to come back before going to the dealership.

My micra has only 19 000 km...