Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody else sick and tired of winter?

Thanks
    Jeeze.. I'm in the Trenton area of the 401.. It was a little storm that came through this weekend, but it doesn't take much to gnarl the 401. Still, Im done with winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Funny enough, the snow was coming down at 6am in Ottawa, but light. By the time I hit the 401 from the 416 it's good, but in the Kingston and 1000 island area, you can barely see anything!
    Name:  IMG_4866_2.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  91.0 KB

Once traffic resumed, I stopped by Newcastle for a break, and bright sun. It was much better until woodSTUCK. Then London. I never seen the 401 closed at so many places.

That's what Waze was showing. BTW, great app if you try to avoid areas with accidents.

Name:  IMG_4868_2.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  9.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Boy do I second that! Good old west coast van city! Only complaints here are getting a sun burn from the weather!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    Not the gas for sure, as I gas at different station and this always happen when plugged and when It's very cold. All the gas stations here in winter use winter formulated gas. It's seasonal thing. There is no summer gas here during winter, and no winter gas during summer.

The companies change their blend according to the season and location.
    Well, forget I said that. I took my wife to a "Sweetheart Dance" at the Delta Toronto East this past Friday night. I reserved a room so we could spend the night. A very icy Saturday morning followed, we were both craving a McDonald's Breakfast Burrito, so I headed out to make it happen. The cold nearly knocked me over. I drove my Micra to the nearest McDonald's 2km away, which didn't have a drive-through, so I was bummed that I had to venture out into the cold. After waiting for and finally receiving my breakfast order, I scurried back out to the security from the cold of my Micra and eagerly started it up; as soon as the engine fired up, I reached over to turn off the A/C compressor, after which the engine promptly stalled. It took more than the usual number of cranks to get going again.

Looks like our Mexican jumping beans aren't too thrilled about this weather; mine's happy to spend its nights in the garage.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

Now your clutch runs on DOT3 if I remember correctly. I cant remember if it slaves off the brake system or is an independent system. There isn't much that can be done about that.

Every 10'c you loose you effectively reduce your CCA by 50%. A few ways to counteract this are to add a battery blanket that you plug in. You can also switch to a synthetic oil that has better winter properties or an oil grade recommended in the owners manual or an oil pan heater.
    Thanks. Not much you can do but wait a bit, so the car has warmed up. I was a little surprised how stiff and slow reacting the clutch was the other day. I wonder if a cabin heater would help at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    For the clutch, probably not. If you really wanted tho, you could pop one of these in.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automo...ontent=Default

So this heats your coolant up, and circulates it through the engine electrically. So the engine stays nice and warm, same with the heater core. Less idling and a warm engine generally starts easier. Had it on my VW diesel. It was an awesome peice of kit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Actually.. Just looked at the engine bay.. Im not even sure where the hell you'd stick that. My AC compressor is really noisy on startup when its cold out for a minute or two. The noise goes away by the time i get the snow off the car.

I haven't had any issues starting the car, but It makes a lot of audible complaints when its cold. Swear its a diesel sometimes.

Thanks
    No AC in mine, maybe I'd have space. Thanks for the link, I never heard of this type of product before, I'll check it out closer.
    I found too that my engine was noisy. A friend said that it would be the direct injectors, not the valves. Not sure if it makes sense...

Thanks
    No direct injection in the Micra's HR16DE engine.

Though it does have two injectors per cylinder. I commented on what sounded like injector "ticking" the very first time I drove the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...