Thread: Speedo and tach acting up

Thanks

Speedo and tach acting up

hello everyone, was driving around yesterday and decided to pull over just to see the sights, and when i started my car back up the speedo and the tachometer started sputtering up and down quite quickly ( say in between 0-20 km/h) and the tach was reading zero and sputtering just above that.. it only happened for a few moments but I was kinda at a loss for words when it happened. I have seen it before in much much much older vehicles... any suggestions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Woah.. That could be a ECM/BCM issue. or something wrong with the cluster. Was the engine sputtering or the tach?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    it was both the tach and the speedo sputtering, but no the engine seemed like it was running fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Did the backlight of the instrument cluster go out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Mine was doing this when my battery went. Since I've had a new battery I have not seen it again. Possibly low voltage right after engine start.

Thanks
    That or a faulty connector at the back of the cluster is what I was thinking. Battery might have had just enough oomf to turn it over, then had a voltage drop after starting.

Thanks
    I don't think it was the batter, as it started fine, and I had been on an hour or so long drive before I turned off the car. It remained off for all of a few mins ( literally; it was too cold to remain outside of the vehicle for much longer in sneakers) while I was looking at the scenery, and when I went to go start it it started fine, but the two gauges just seizured for a few seconds... not long enough to even record it. The absolute best way I could describe is a similarity to this video.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmoCHEdK6s ... except the car was not in gear and was still parked. Both the tachometer needle and speedometer needle did this, except it was doing this easily at 2 times the speed ( speed up the video to see what i mean ).

Thanks
    Ok, i see now. And im kind of stumped.. Older cars that had a cable for the speedo, this was a sure fire indication that the gears inside were shot, but as far as I know, the micra doesnt have one... Has it happened again?

Thanks
    I've seen that happen with a faulty relay.

EDIT: have you searched the Versa / Note forum? Just about any problem the Micra may have has probably already been seen in those cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...