Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda updates the competition - redesigned 2016 Mazda 2

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mazda updates the competition - redesigned 2016 Mazda 2

Name:  NEWCROP-mazda214gd2.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  28.8 KB

The Micra is going to have an updated competitor out later this year.

Mazda's redesigned 2016 Mazda 2 is headed for the showroom floors. Offered with a 1.5l Skyactiv engine, it'll be interesting to see how this car does. The current 2 is praised for its handling and being fun to drive. However, its fuel economy is sorely lacking compared to most of its competitors.

Full article: New Mazda2 unveiled at Montreal auto show

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-15-2015)

Thanks
    Interesting that the North American debut is in Montreal. That's happened a few times now: Micra, Mirage, Mazda2.

I guess if your name starts with M, you begin in Montreal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I thought the current two had similar fuel consumption to our Micra's. I took it out for a test drive and thought that our Micra was a bit more nimble and peppier.

Thanks
    Ho hum...bigger, heavier, more ''adult'' stylings? Should sell great as that's generally what the peoples eat up. If I had to get a Mazda I would definitely pick this over the ''3'' though...pffft what a bloated over-styled POC that thing is.

I do like the move to put the mirrors back on the door panels though (where they always belonged). A retro trend that is gaining some traction the last few years and I hope it continues.

EDIT: and while I'm ragging on Mazda: it looks like they may have screwed up the Miata yet again too. Kind of an improvement over the last gen, but really getting way off what its supposed to be.
    All ''IN MY VALUABLE OPINION'' of course
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Mazda's been on a weight-saving kick for a few new model releases (including the next gen Miata which reverses the bloat trend). I'll be curious to see if this one was also put on a diet.

Also noteworthy: 6 speed transmission! Both auto & manual. That may be a first in this class of car, if I'm not mistaken.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neovision1981 View Post
    I thought the current two had similar fuel consumption to our Micra's.
    It does. Both sit at the thirsty end of the scale for mileage. Comparison of Micra's fuel economy/mileage vs. competitors

I haven't driven a "2", but most gearhead reviews of inexpensive small cars have picked it as the most fun... until the Micra came along.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-15-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mazda's been on a weight-saving kick for a few new model releases (including the next gen Miata which reverses the bloat trend). I'll be curious to see if this one was also put on a diet.

Also noteworthy: 6 speed transmission! Both auto & manual. That may be a first in this class of car, if I'm not mistaken.
    That is good to hear. On the Miata it is mostly the styling that bugs me...just looks too pretentious, like it wants to be a BMW.

On the ''2'', if it doesn't gain weight, that is obviously good... but still, I want a small car not something the size of a school bus, even if it does weigh-in light.

EDIT: I would like to see a ''Kei'' class car thing get going here in NA....give the mfg's some parameters and let them have at it to see who can do the most with it.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes, Kei cars! I have been sorely tempted by the Honda Beat.

Thanks
    The Mazda2 is a nice car and I considered it until I figured out that a nicely equipped Micra SV 5 speed was still cheaper than the base bare bones Mazda2, and the Micra made 10 more horses. I'm sure Mazda could build an even nicer Mazda2, but can they make it price competitive with the Micra?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Nope, I doubt it. Low price is Nissan's game for now.