Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Nissan Micra S Base, 5-speed Review (Autoguide.com)

Thanks

2015 Nissan Micra S Base, 5-speed Review (Autoguide.com)

Name:  micra-autoguide.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  60.7 KB

Autoguide is funny. Despite being in Toronto, they like to pretend they're American. More money in that approach, I suppose.

So they present the Micra as though it's forbidden Canadian fruit... because of course it's not available in the States. Though the writer guesses that it will be at some point:

...Americans will have to wait a bit longer... I’m certain Nissan USA is watching how the Micra performs in Canada.
    Also interesting: Nissan has apparently put a few base S Micras into their media fleet. When it initially launched, they were only letting writers get their hands on the SV and SR.

Likes...

- price/value
    - power
    - roomy for its size
    - some unexpected features: trip computer, 4-speaker & aux input stereo
    - comfy seats
    - good forward visibility

Dislikes...

- $3k price jump to get an automatic
    - short gearing - high highway RPM
    - vague steering (really?)
    - fuel economy (but loves the power! A clear case of wanting his cake and eating it too.)
    - fit & finish - said it had some misaligned panels
    - instability in crosswinds

Overall...

The Micra offers an attractive alternative for Canadians who want an especially cheap (emphasis on that word), basic, worry-free transportation device.

More importantly, if the choice were mine between the Micra S and the current American low-price champion, the Nissan Versa Sedan S, I would easily choose the Micra.
    See the full review & photos....
    http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...micra-s-review

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    by "vague steering" im thinking he means the power steering is very....powered. which i would agree (it's a good thing for those of us who dont want to exert so much just to make a damn turn).

i also agree that micra is easily bullied by those mean winds. it does wobble at high highway speeds.

i still love it tho. it's the best looking nissan ever. and is so fiesty. i mean, how can u not love it?

Thanks
    Do you really think the steering is light? I found it to be pretty nicely weighted. I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to.

I didn't experience the wind / stability problem, but that comment has come up in more than a couple of reviews now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Do you really think the steering is light? I found it to be pretty nicely weighted. I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to.

I didn't experience the wind / stability problem, but that comment has come up in more than a couple of reviews now.
    i guess it depends....but i struggle to think of a mainstream car that has lighter steering than the micra. im not a strong guy, really, yet i feel the lightness.

which to me, is a positive. i dont want a sports car, aka 'tight handling', aka steering that reminds me of videogames.

Thanks
    struggle to think of a mainstream car that has lighter steering
    Mirage... it's ridiculously light. It's 1-finger steering, like the old days of land yachts from the Big 3.

Thanks
    The only downside to the steering is in heavy wind. I find that the car does list fairly predictably but having the steering as sensitive as it is, makes it hard to correct as gracefully as one would over long stretches of open road in heavy wind. That being said, it did seem all kinds of other vehicles were having issues with the wind as well....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.7 mpg (Imp) ... 15.5 km/L ... 36.4 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    With electronic steering, would it be possible for Nissan to scale the sensitivity down at high speed?

Thanks
    Are you talking about steering ratio or power assist?

A car with a "fast" ratio will be "twitchy" at higher speeds even if it's a manual rack.

I bet the Micra's EPS adds no assist at highway speeds for minor steering corrections.

Thanks
    I don't know the technical terms, but if the Micra ability to make very tight turns at low speed is translating to a "twitchiness" at high speed, could the steering sensitivity be dialled down at higher speeds electronically?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The only thing that can be tweaked is the amount of electric assist that the EPS system provides. The amount of turns to lock is done via a mechanical gear and isn't changeable. Typically, at low speeds is the only time you really need any assist. At speed, its very easy to turn a car even if it doesn't have power steering at all.