Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undercoating

Thanks

Undercoating

With winter being here, I was just wondering if any of you would recommend getting it shot with an undercoating of oil from the first year. I declined to buy the ridiculous "electric" rustproof from the stealer. I'd like to think I'm going to go kart my 10k tin can for 10 years at least. Any value in rustproofing it?

Thanks for your comments.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd recommend it especially if you're planning on keeping it that long. Salt is ridiculously harsh and the oil will protect it. It obviously needs to be reapplied yearly, but it does work.

Thanks
    If you're planning to keep the car that long, I would DEFINITELY get it rust proofed with an annual spray. (Or every other year, which is what I do.)

What part of the country are you in? Obviously rust is going to be more of a problem for cars in central/eastern Canada.

You could do it yourself as well. Alpha was talking about it here:

Thread: Rust protection

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If you're planning to keep the car that long, I would DEFINITELY get it rust proofed with an annual spray. (Or every other year, which is what I do.)

What part of the country are you in? Obviously rust is going to be more of a problem for cars in central/eastern Canada.

You could do it yourself as well. Alpha was talking about it here:

Thread: Rust protection
    Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out. Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. I guess at $80 a year it's worth it. How many more years without perforation I could realistically expect?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Depends on the design of the car (all designs tend to have problem areas that trap water/slush/dirt in certain areas that rust out first). Since the Micra is new to us, we don't know the problem spots yet.

And also depends on how well the rust-proofing is applied. Would you do underbody only, or inside panels as well? I've used Krown before - more expensive, but they do the entire car, including inside all panels/doors.

PS -- make a garage entry for your car -- add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hum good point. It does make sense. I'm from the Ottawa area by the way. I will probably make some mods, and in spring I can take nice pictures and post it. Otherwise, it's a very stock looking silver K13. Nothing new to show really. ;-)

Thanks
    Understood. It just helps give your posts added context if people can look up what model/trans you have from the link under your username. Add pics later when you mod it up.

Thanks
    I took mine directly from the dealer to a local Permashine place to get the car rust proofed. Cost just under $400 and as long as you get it inspected once a year it is guaranteed for life. It looks like a clear wax type of spray and they did the underside as well as inner door panels, under the hood etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to neovision1981 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-17-2015)

Thanks
    Do you know how much the annual inspection costs?

Thanks
    The first two years of inspection are free and subsequent years are $50/year.