Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra crash test results & video: Euro NCAP front impact, side, pole, whiplash

Thanks

Micra crash test results & video: Euro NCAP front impact, side, pole, whiplash

Video shows crash testing of the current generation Micra (K13) from Euro NCAP. They use a 2010 model year car.

Tests shown:

• front offset impact
    • side impact
    • pole impact (driver's door)
    • whiplash

Euro NCAP awarded the Micra 4/5 stars:

• 84% for Adult Occupant
    • 79% Child Occupant
    • 58% Pedestrian
    • 57% Safety Assist

Full Euro NCAP report here: http://euroncap.com/results/nissan/micra/2010/413.aspx

Name:  thumb__mediaplayerpreview.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  52.3 KB

Views: 2443
Size:  54.9 KB

Views: 2516
Size:  55.8 KB

Views: 2511
Size:  49.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It looks like it does very well.

Really, it seems that even small cars these days are really safe. Safety really shouldn't be an issue when choosing a newer car because they're all safe.

Thanks
    Here is the Japanese JNCAP full frontal impact crash test video:

Side impact:

Frontal offset:

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-25-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added offset & side impact vids

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Hi People,
    I saw the LatinCap tests (the one made for Micras/March made in Mexico) and the results are not that good. Does anybody know if there is a difference between European/Asian Micras and American (Mexican) ones? The tested car in LatinCap certainly did not have ABS, but I don't think thats the only difference. Maybe some structural one?

Thanks a lot for the info!
    Martin

Thanks
    Hi Martin -

Good question. LatinCAP test gave the March 2/5 stars for driver protection and 1/5 stars for infant protection. Much lower than the EuroNCAP numbers.

On the topic of comparing safety ratings between countries, EuroNCAP says...

...this makes it usually impossible to compare results. Euro NCAP is generally considered to be amongst the most stringent and most representative rating programs.

This fact, on top of the marked difference in safety equipment of cars sold outside Europe, makes that Euro NCAP does not allow manufactures to insinuate a Euro NCAP star rating on the basis of other NCAP results.
    http://euroncap.com/Content-Web-Faq/...the-world.aspx

How many airbags in the Mexican March? There are 6 in the Canadian Micra, and the front ones are dual-stage -- probably in Europe too. Also there are seatbelt pre-tensioners, plus electronic stability control & traction control. All these things mean extra "stars" in the Euro rating.

I guess it's possible for a car to "appear" identical, yet still have structural differences: thickness of the various stamped parts of the unibody; the number of welds in the unibody; different bumper strength regulations.

- Darin

EDIT:

Here's the LatinCAP crash test:

If you compare the offset crash results, the Euro Micra seems to have slightly less deformation of the A-pillar and cowl area (based on cracking of the windsheild).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the answer.

I understand that all March/Micras in America (Latin America, Caribe and Canada) are made structurally equal in the Aguas Calientes Factory in Mexico. There are differences are in the equipment the car has (Airbags, ABS, ESP, etc.) depending on the market (in Argentina they have only 2 airbags). However I was concerned about what you mention

"...I guess it's possible for a car to "appear" identical, yet still have structural differences: thickness of the various stamped parts of the unibody; the number of welds in the unibody; different bumper strength regulations..."

I read that the quality has been lowered down for our markets, comparing to Europe or US (where the Micra does not even exists). I think that this could be only answered by a Nissan Executive, and I doubt they would do that.

Best regards!
    Martin

Thanks
    Hi Martin -

I understand that all March/Micras in America (Latin America, Caribe and Canada) are made structurally equal in the Aguas Calientes Factory in Mexico.
    And that's where the Canadian cars are made.

I read that the quality has been lowered down for our markets
    To me, the LatinNCAP offset test looks a little worse (A-pillar/cowl damage) than the Euro test. However, I just found the JapanNCAP offset video (added to post#3 above), and based on the way the A-pillar and cowl area look, it seems very similar to the LatinNCAP crash.

And if any market was going to get the "best" Micra/March, it would be the domestic market. That tells me they're probably structurally the same.

Thanks
    Im very happy with the results that the micra produced. When we do fleet purchases we generally select from the EuroNCAP results because.. Well. Call a spade a spade, our own research has found the IIHS standards to be biased and flawed.

Considering how small the micra is, it really is built like a tank. Minimal intrusion to the cabin in all cases. The rear side curtain airbags could come down a smidge lower for glass protection, but then you run the risk of top impact onto carseats and smaller passengers- a 50/50 gamble on the automakers and Nissan has proved itself well.

Really, there isnt a current model nissan out there that doesn't meet our guidlines. They are all very safe vehicles. Think about it. A base micra comes with all the safety kit that the fully armed ones do. Nissan really doesnt put a price on your safety.

The big difference you might see is the absorbtion material at the impact zone- they are different materials. The crush block between them are different. In euro tests, the crush barrier is made from aluminum based materials where the J-ncap, ASEAN-Ncap and Latin NCap are all steel based. Euro NCAP barriers are also slightly lower.

The 60/40 test bases its speed at 64 km/h, equal force. Meaning that the car is propelled much faster to simulate the most devasting collision we can do, 40% surface area against another vehicle of similare mass and speed after hard braking. Just about anywhere, we travel at a higher velocity. Real world impacts are typically harder. What you hit (Ex,ford excursion vs. smart car) are going to have a bearing on the performance of the car in an accident.

Rest assured, there is no manufacturing differences based on continent factories- It would be to expensive to source out slightly cheaper materials and change all your stamping equipment accordingly to support another country. You build for the highest standard in that area you make for, set your stamping and tooling for it and go.

Is there a difference in materials between latin made micras vs euro made micras vs asean made micras- Most likely. A lot fo the plants will source materials locally. Even if its supposed to be say 1263 Grade steel, it might not exactly the same just because of what is avilible to the mill. It might meet that grade, or exceed it.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-25-2014 at 02:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    our own research has found the IIHS standards to be biased and flawed.
    Oh? Care to share?

I know one thing they're always preaching is "large is better than small." Maybe. But that definitely makes me a wayward sheep in my vehicle choices!

Thanks
    I cant show you all the specific ones from my work. The government doesn't want that with the current security- Admin you might still remember where I work.

However I CAN show you lots of the public ones.

EuroNCAP standard 110 recording channels for the Dummies. (Each)
    http://www.euroncap.com/files/Euro-N...adec79883d.pdf

IIHS NCAP Doesnt list how much data they are actually recording....
    http://www.iihs.org/media/f70ff6eb-d...tocol_high.pdf

Money or safety, whats the influence?

Euro NCAP
    Euro NCAP was set up by the Transport Research Laboratory, for the UK Department of Transport. Subsequently, other governments have joined the programme (France, Germany, Sweden, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and the Catalonian part of Spain). Many Consumer Groups in Europe are members through International Consumer Research and Testing. Motoring clubs are represented by membership of the FIA, ACI and by the German motor club ADAC.

IIHS - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/about-us/member-groups (People who actually take a loss of money when you crash)
    About the Institutes
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is an independent, nonprofit scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries and property damage — from crashes on the nation's roads.

The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) shares and supports this mission through scientific studies of insurance data representing the human and economic losses resulting from the ownership and operation of different types of vehicles and by publishing insurance loss results by vehicle make and model.

Both organizations are wholly supported by auto insurers and insurance associations.

Ever been ripped off by an insurance company?

Personally: Not my own opinion.. With IIHS, certain brands always, always always perform better then then some (Cougcoughcoughhondacoughtoyotacough) and when you want the raw data, they will not provide to government organisations.

Even the US government has a seperate lab, (NTHSA). If the IIHS doesnt do it well enough for the US government...

Last edited by Howie; 11-25-2014 at 03:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...