Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports hates the Versa... I wonder what they'd think of the Micra...

Thanks

Consumer Reports hates the Versa... I wonder what they'd think of the Micra...

Stumbled on this today:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...year/index.htm

It's a "worst of 2014" list. They start off by hating the Mitsu Mirage.

Then they move on to the Versa sedan:

The Versa sedan is a stinker, with just a 56-point overall road test score. Notable shortcomings include a noisy, cheap interior with subpar fit and finish, jumpy ride, grating engine noise, ungainly handing, and long stops.
    Considering the interior/platform/drivetrain similarities to the Micra, I have a feeling they wouldn't look kindly on it either.

But to me here's the most interesting bit:

But, don’t take our word for it. When we asked owners—those people who were so captivated by the Versa that they bought one with their own hard-earned cash—they agreed. The Versa sedan has the lowest owner satisfaction among all cars, at just 42 percent of owners saying they would definitely buy it again.
    Surprising, because in the U.S. the Versa sedan (which is the country's cheapest new car) is also the best-selling subcompact, month after month. Something doesn't add up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Its not a Honda, or Toyota. It will be at the bottom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I would not rely on them and their opinion to buy a car, maybe a kitchen cookware, but not a car.
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-27-2014 at 11:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Funny, because every Versa owner I've talked to love their car.
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 11-28-2014 at 09:58 PM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    They seem incapable of evaluating entry level cars. They all seem to suck, in their opinion.

I suppose when the average new car price is around $30,000 it skews your perspective.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Versa sedans are like unicorns around here. I occasionally see ONE black SV around... and that car's been available for years.

Thanks
    Yeah, probably why they have made the descicion to axe the sedan for 2015 (according to my dealer, lets see if that's true)

But consumer reports has to be one of the worst rags out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    The one factor they seem to completely forget about is the true cost to own a car over a period of time (typically evaluated over 5 years). While they're busy stroking each other over the Tesla model S, they fail to mention that, for just the purchase price of the Tesla, a person could own and operate three nicely equipped Versa Notes for five years.

When it comes to the true cost of ownership (using US data from Kelly Blue Book for states near Ontario), the Versa sedan beats out the class-leading Chevrolet Spark over 5 years, 15,000 miles driven per year, at $26,076 versus the Spark's $26,897. This cost of ownership puts the true cost of owning the Versa Sedan at around the MSRP of Consumer's Reports less expensive top picks, where the ONLY factors they consider are test performance, reliability, and safety.

For a growing family on a tight budget, the Versa sedan delivers on everything that's important, and does it better than its rivals. The growing kids get all the legroom and headroom they need all the way to Disneyworld, which they can afford to do because they bought the Versa sedan. That's why it's a popular car; people are much more money-smart than Consumer Reports gives them credit for.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Howie (11-30-2014),MetroMPG (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    ^ this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    The one factor they seem to completely forget about is the true cost to own a car
    You nailed it there!

I've seen another US report (Cars.com?) which put the Mirage -- also hated by CR, as seen in this article -- slightly ahead of the Versa in total cost of ownership. Close enough that in reality all that matters to a buyer looking to save money is which car suits them better.

Micra would of course join them in that competition owing to the low base price.