Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New dash cam caught dangerous bus driver!

Thanks

New dash cam caught dangerous bus driver!

Upgraded to a 1080p webcam (the old one was having various problems), first day out on the road, and it captured a TTC bus driver first making an illegal lane change VERY close to the divider, then blowing a red light on rain-slicked roads.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    well, he was putting his flasher for a long time before going in. Here in Quebec they have priority and if you don't give them the way it's you that could end up with a ticket. So they just put their flasher and change lane when ever they have just enough space to squeeze their front end, and you have to make way.
    Last edited by dani3d; 11-24-2014 at 08:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    As you can see, I gave this bus driver right-of-way, and left plenty of space for him to get in when the line was dotted. This bus driver decided to wait until the line was solid and he/she was practically at the median divider; I did not expect the driver to move over then. Also, the buses don't have right-of-way over traffic lights; the light turned amber long before the bus got to the intersection, and the bus crossed into the intersection after the light had turned red. These bus drivers are the worst, reminds me of this incident:

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It's hard to see in your video, but if you think he was driving dangerously, then you should definitely report him. Here bus drivers are dangerous too and I stay away from them as much as possible. That's a real hasshole in that last video. Hope he lost his job!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Upgraded to a 1080p webcam (the old one was having various problems), first day out on the road, and it captured a TTC bus driver first making an illegal lane change VERY close to the divider, then blowing a red light on rain-slicked roads.

As you can see, I gave this bus driver right-of-way, and left plenty of space for him to get in when the line was dotted. This bus driver decided to wait until the line was solid and he/she was practically at the median divider; I did not expect the driver to move over then. Also, the buses don't have right-of-way over traffic lights; the light turned amber long before the bus got to the intersection, and the bus crossed into the intersection after the light had turned red. These bus drivers are the worst,
    Removed second video from quote. That driver was fired last I heard.

I'm no FanBoy of anything or anyone let alone TTC drivers, but in this case the video shows me a somewhat different scenario than what you are describing.

I'll address the last part of the vid first...it looks to me like the driver entered the intersection on yellow, but a little late... should have been able to stop for the light. Hard to definitively bust him though.

The first section of the video is quite clear to me what happened: Yourself and the bus driver acting out in a slightly aggressive manner.

You must yield to the bus, it is the law and there is a sign on the back of the bus reminding you of this. It is clear from very early in the vid that the bus is signalling his intention of changing lanes to the left, and yet you keep accelerating closer to him... daring him to pull in front of you? Seeing if you can keep him to the right so you don't have to follow that big ugly arse? Or perhaps at the time you did not see him at all?

The bus driver does not get off here either: he is having a hard time deciding if you are a typical TO driving asshat that is not going to yield... but he still comes over.

Two stubborn and rude drivers that need to chill out a tad.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Actually, you might notice the gap between me and the blue car increased considerably; that was me letting that gap open so the bus could move over. When I saw the dotted line change to solid, I assumed the bus didn't want to get over and was signaling in error, so I started to accelerate just as the bus was moving over. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me as the bus driver continued straight through the light; the bus driver could've done that staying in the right lane.

Thanks anyway for trying to play psychic. :/

Thanks
    Actually, you might notice the gap between me and the blue car increased considerably; that was me letting that gap open so the bus could move over. When I saw the dotted line change to solid, I assumed the bus didn't want to get over and was signaling in error, so I started to accelerate just as the bus was moving over. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me as the bus driver continued straight through the light; the bus driver could've done that staying in the right lane.

Thanks anyway for trying to play psychic. :/
    I'm not trying to read your mind or anything, i'm just going by what the vid shows.

The gap increased between you and the blue car because he booted it, not wanting to be behind a bus.
    You assumed the bus was signalling in error? Not a great assumption (obviously), and especially since you knew you were going slow down to turn left anyway...what's the point?

If I was going to try and read your mind... judging by your surprised reaction to a signalling bus following through, I would say that possibly you were target fixated on the left turn you knew you had to make and never saw the bus at all?

Or you were protecting your lane, not wanting the bus in front of you. Kinda like your post in this thread: http://micra-forum.com/showthread.ph...=3067#post3067

A couple of weeks ago, I was on the highway, not going too fast but fast enough that there was nobody waiting behind me. It was a nice day, so I had the windows down. I moved into my off-ramp lane, and a guy driving a Dodge Caravan moved into the lane I was in. He was in position to get behind me if he wanted to exit, but I heard his engine roar as he floored it and pulled alongside me. I thought he was either just accelerating hard to undertake people to his left, but I thought it equally as likely he'd try to cut me of at the last minute as the off-ramp lane ended, so I dropped it to 4th and let my Micra off the chain. As I pulled ahead of him, I could hear his engine straining, and as I suspected, he moved into my lane to exit. He was right on my bumper as I had let off the gas a little to slow for the 90 degree right hand turn I was approaching. Knowing how great the Micra could take corners, I figured what the heck, so I went into the corner quite hard but easily within the limits of the Micra's capabilities; as I came into the corner, I couldn't help but hear the pumping of ABS brakes from the minivan behind me. When I checked my rear view mirror, he was a good distance away from me and missed the green light at the intersection.

Micra easily holds its own; if someone thinks it's slow or underpowered, they don't know how to drive it.
    Not trying to give you a heard time man, I just think the vid shows something different than what you describe.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aftica View Post
    Not trying to give you a heard time man, I just think the vid shows something different than what you describe.
    I assure you, I would have easily stayed behind a Honda Fit, even if he was "Booting" it...I eased up on my acceleration to allow the bus to move over, which I expected to occur where there was a dashed line.

You think I should have expected the bus to move across a solid white line?

Do you even understand what a solid white line even means in the province of Ontario?

Maybe you don't, so I'll help you out; this might help you in the future:
    http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how...d-lines-mean-2
    Quote:
    When the white line separating traffic lanes is solid, it is not legal to cross such a line to change lanes.
    EDIT: If you can't hear me short-shifting as I made that gap between me and the Fit, then perhaps the ATU kool-aid has impaired your hearing.

Thanks
    I assure you, I would have easily stayed behind a Honda Fit, even if he was "Booting" it...I eased up on my acceleration to allow the bus to move over, which I expected to occur where there was a dashed line.

You think I should have expected the bus to move across a solid white line?

Do you even understand what a solid white line even means in the province of Ontario?

Maybe you don't, so I'll help you out; this might help you in the future:
    http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how...d-lines-mean-2
    Quote:

EDIT: If you can't hear me short-shifting as I made that gap between me and the Fit, then perhaps the ATU kool-aid has impaired your hearing.
    Yes I understand what a solid white line means... but it's not a Jersey barrier... when driving you have to anticipate the unexpected...guys pull all kinds of bone head moves.

I really despise unions, so i'm not drinking ANY of their Kool-Aid!

I suggest you show the vid to the TTC if you feel you been wronged.

cheers!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

Thanks
    Let me school you...

Where highway divided into lanes
    154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,
    (a) a vehicle shall be driven as nearly as may be practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety;

( http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK232 )

Also, From the Ontario Driver's Handbook.

Yellow lines separate traffic travelling in opposite directions. White lines separate traffic travelling in the same direction.
    A solid line at the left of your lane means it is unsafe to pass. ('A' should not pass.)

( http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion3.4.0.shtml )

Should not, does not mean it is unlawful to do so.

As well, the bus has right of way. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/modul...rticle&sid=879

The bus driver clearly indicated his intention EARLY when there was space for him to merge into YOUR lane. HOWEVER YOU did not slow down to allow him in, instead YOU maintained speed until he was to close to YOU. Likely because he was tracking you and trying to judge his distance of where you and your little car was. Or trying to figure out why you sped up when you slowed down to let him in all of a sudden, because YOU ASSUMED he didnt want the lane even though his signal was on.

The bus driver accelerated to make sure he cleared your car so he could get into the lane before slamming into the obstacle, and consequentially ran the yellow into the red because YOU were going to let him in and suddenly decided to disobey the law and speed up ASSUMING HIS TURN SIGNAL MEANT NOTHING.

A bus like that weighs 50t. You cant slam on the brakes with unrestrained passengers.

Congrats.

And when your going to cite stuff about regs, get your **** together. Apparently you dont know what the lines mean either. Maybe that's why you made such assumptions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...