Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 185/65R15 Winter Tires on Steel Rims - 3.1% Difference

Thanks
    Any time. I'll call you when there is big snow flurry with black ice and we can test it. I tried cheap tires before and I am now paying for top quality tires for a good reason, they are way better and you really get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by tirePrice.ca View Post
    You got a good point, i respect that. However, if you want, lets do this: We should compare our tires. You bring your car with Michelins or whatever you think is best and I bring my sister's Micra with one of my tires and we will have a test drive... what do you think?

...then we will see if it make sense to pay extra 400-500 bucks for a brand name

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Take a look at the Gislavid Nordfrost 100. I have a set for my Versa 185/65R15 and they are dead quiet like my previous set of Xi-2. A bit spongier but the worked well during the 3 inches we had in TO this past week.

Thanks
    I think the issue here is that we have brand new cars and we want the best for them.(TOYO's for my baby) If i had an older car i would have no problem putting on generals or low end Goodyears. (Yes i still try to avoid no names)

Here in Quebec a lot of people i know that live in the city never put on winter tires before the law and were amazed at the winter performance increase of their cheapy winter tires. And most of those people aren't bothered by the noise or "squishy ride"

And ya, that's a big ass weight on that rim, i can't imagine in 10 years.

On a side note... It's frustrating when people are so adamant that THEIR way is the ONLY way to do things...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnskers View Post
    I think the issue here is that we have brand new cars and we want the best for them.(TOYO's for my baby) If i had an older car i would have no problem putting on generals or low end Goodyears. (Yes i still try to avoid no names)

Here in Quebec a lot of people i know that live in the city never put on winter tires before the law and were amazed at the winter performance increase of their cheapy winter tires. And most of those people aren't bothered by the noise or "squishy ride"

And ya, that's a big ass weight on that rim, i can't imagine in 10 years.

On a side note... It's frustrating when people are so adamant that THEIR way is the ONLY way to do things...
    Horses for courses. If my Micra was a lease that I thought I was going to return at the end of the lease, I'd probably opt for the cheap snow tires, or maybe even try to make do with the all seasons. If I was driving short trips 100% in the city, a case could also be made for the cheap Chinese tires.

That big counterweight reminds me of a cheap set of Chinese tires I had mounted on a cheap set of steel rims. It had a similarly large counterweight, which flew off on a back road. The ensuing vibrations made me think the entire car was going to come apart!

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Like anything you get what you pay for. I have had "cheap" Chinese tires ruin the alignment on a previous vehicle because they scalloped and wore unevenly after only 20,000 km. Yes I saved almost 50% vs name brand but the alignment issues and the eventual wear on other parts needing to be replaced prematurely definitely wasn't worth it. Now that I am a parent I am even more cautious about what tires go on my vehicle.

Thanks
    ^ I have to agree with that. If nothing else I dont go cheap on tires. Go cheap on tires and other surfaces of your car might make contact with the road...

Allthough the stockers work pretty damn well in my opinion. Depending on the price, I might just replace them with the same when they wear out depending on how they hold up. Along with price. $tealer$hips tend to jack the price on tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Am I too crazy for wanting to go with some 205/65/15?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Am I too crazy for wanting to go with some 205/65/15?
    WHOA! Sebastian, my bro...you are crazy! Overall height ~ 25.5 inches.

If you keep your suspension stock I think they might actually work (meaning: without rubbing), but slightly extreme, and kinda of a squeeze getting them on the stock rims.

Would love to see a pic if you do it!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Hehe.

I haven't made the required measurements yet, but if they do fit, the wheels are the last thing I'm going to get.
    Some 25mm wheel spacers are planned to be there by then, that'd give more space to my craziness.