Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Micra in the snow & ice -- how does it drive / handle?

Thanks
    no such problem with my car and we have lots of snow here. I keep my fan vent open most of the time, and use the fan in high speed at first to defrost. You should not get snow entering through the fan, that is wierd. Where does the fan take its air? Is it somewhere under the hood? should be, and should not be any snow in there. The hood seem to close tight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's the thing, I was able to reproduce it on the last snowfall by removing the snow from the windshield and let a little fall in the grill, located on the passenger side, at the bottom of the windshield. The dash is literally 1" behind and I could see the flakes on the black dash. Next snowfall, if it's not too cold, I'll try to film it so we can see both the dash and the vent opening.
    It's the strangest thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    If I'm reading this right, diagram, the 27125 part, or duct, that connect to the air intake, 27080, is located on the upper right of the console. Pretty much right under where the windshield meets the dash. How can powder snow be sucked in all those ducts and spit out the vents is a mystery to me.

So far my winter appreciation of the Micra is great handling when paired with good shoes. Heater does not heat the cabin as quickly as I would have wanted, but it's not bad. Once warm, it's tropical warm in there.
    And.... careful when removing snow, turn off the fan in case you get your own blizzard inside like I do! :-S

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Yes I also think that the heater takes a while to work. It helps to use the block heater maybe, not sure.

It's strange for your snow problem. I often leave with a lot of snow in there and just use the wipers to clear the view, but I never had snow come inside.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    How much snow are we talking about? On my Micra snow will fall into the seat and dash when I first open the doors. But so far nothing coming out of the vents.

Also does your heat or cold control still work? I had a problem on my Rogue where the actuator that controls hot and cold air was broken and my car became a snow maker.

Thanks
    Ok, here's an update. I have the base model, the cheapest of the cheapest. This means no AC.
    What the dealer told me, it's by design. When starting from cold in the morning, and blowing the air right away, the air intake near the dash, sucks the air, blows by the heater core, that is still cold, and can reach the vents easily. Because I don't have the A/C, the evaporator coil does not break it down either.

So came the questions of the "pollen" cabin air filter. They dodged that one. It doesn't exist I'm told! LOL....

So, in the end, I was told to turn off the fan before starting the car, set the air source to recycling to close the trap, and only turn it on when the car has warmed up.

Not quite was I expected.

I will open that well and use a glue gun to add a fine mesh behind. I will test prior, but I'm thinking mosquito screen.

This, along with a darn cabin air filter and I should be good.

Neo: yeah, cool/hot air works fine. Definitely noticeable in winter when the engine is warm. After 30min, I can't leave the heat full speed, it burn my feet. Takes a while to heat up, but once it's warm, it keeps the car tropical warm.

Thanks
    thanks for the update, mate.

yea my mechanic asked the local nissan dealer too, he's like "uhhhhhh i dont think there's a filter, i guess? lol!" i was not impressed.

also, personally, i cant imagine buying a car with no ac. and after having experienced rear wipers and defrost....i dont think i can ever buy a car without those two things, either.

Thanks
    Personally I can do without A/C. I was driving without any in the Jeep, I found I was more prone to cold in summer.
    It's the wife who wants A/C.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    My silver bubble kept me warm, entertained, and safe today during some challenging driving conditions. Got to love stability control in our Micra's, bet this Toyota driver wished he had it today.

Attachment 947
    Not sure if anyone can answer this...but I think my micra I have base model with auto and ac has traction control but I think it does not have stability control. Same with my 2015 Rogue I noticed same issue has traction control but stability control is not there ... i tried both on ice and snow on purpose and stability control wasnt there ...My 2012 caravan had it and noticed it any inputs?

Thanks
    I think Nissan calls its stability/traction control as VDC. The Micra has it located just left of and below the dash. Same place as it was on my 08 Rogue, the only other option being the AWD lock option on the Rogue in AWD models which is placed beside the VDC button.

Also keep in mind with VDC on you can still spin and do rather silly things in your car if you don't factor in things like weather when you drive. VDC can help with minor corrections here or there but isn't a magic green button that makes your car stick to the road in all conditions.