Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Micra in the snow & ice -- how does it drive / handle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Micra in the snow & ice -- how does it drive / handle?

Name:  $micra-snow2.jpg
Views: 8721
Size:  46.3 KB

How does your Micra handle the white stuff?

Unfortunately many of us have experienced a premature winter blast by now, so you've probably done some driving in it.

I can guarantee people are searching for this exact Micra topic these days, so it would be useful to have a thread with some owners' feedback.

---

My experience:

I've mostly owned light, subcompact, front drive cars and I've never had a problem in winter. In fact, with four good snow tires, they can out-handle a lot of bigger, heavier vehicles, even AWD cars/SUV's whose owners only use "all season" tires. So even though I haven't driven a Micra in the snow yet, personally I would have zero reservations about doing it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Today was the acid test for my Micra shod in nitrogen filled Michelin x-ice Xi3 at all four corners. Headed home after work, the snow that blitzed Buffalo made an appearance. I was in the hammer lane travelling at hammer lane speeds. My exit came up, I moved over, and noticed that traffic was slowing down a LOT and could see a couple of small accidents up ahead. I touched the brake to slow down, and the ABS kicked in. I was on glare ice, but my Micra was well-composed and I was able to safely slow down without any loss of control. I entered the turn still a little too hot, but the Michelin's had no trouble holding the turn thanks to the Micra's light weight; unfortunately, a girl in an orange Vibe wasn't so lucky and ended up with a door ding. Then, as I got close to home, I got near the top of "Suicide Hill" and the light turned red. I had to start from a dead stop up a steep incline with my manual transmission on that slick, snow covered hill. Light turned green, I eased off the clutch and onto the gas, traction control kicked in, and I pulled away from the intersection with confidence.

My '90 Micra was a champ in the snow and ice, and it looks like my '14 Micra will perform even better.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Same here. We had black ice -9C this morning and the Micra with the Nokian Hakka tires did great. I did have a few times where the ABS kicked in but I managed to break very well and stay in control no problem.

I think this is where good snow tires are important and cheap tires won't cut it. Don't just buy cheap 100$ tires, get the best and it is even more important for a light car like the Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    Im on the stockers, wet, slippery snow, not a problem. Got to try the traction control. Not bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-20-2014),SvB (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    My first front drive car in a long time. (had 2 CRX's and original Micra, back in the stone age LOL) Gonna take some getting used to after many years of RWD.

Will have to re-learn how to steer with P-brake instead of right foot!
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    What the heck did we do before ABS, traction control & stability control?

The only time I've ever had trouble driving a light weight car in the winter was going down a country highway during a blizzard. I popped out of a relatively sheltered (tree-lined) area where the road crossed an open field and got slammed by a fierce cross-wind which pushed my car (Rabbit) sideways in my lane. The wheels caught the deep snow on the road side and that was it... sucked into the ditch! The snow just laughed at my countersteering.

No damage, but the car came to a stop suspended on its belly pan - wheels dangling uselessly in deep snow. I knocked on the door of the nearest farmhouse and got a Massey Ferguson extrication followed by my many, many thanks and a contribution to his diesel fund.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Lol.. Good old country folk.. I remember my first car getting pulled out of the rhubarb by a john deere. Thats why I had a good chuckle just now. Nice to know I wasnt the only one.

(1989 Dodge omni btw)

But in all honesty from what some people might know I do snow and ice control for a certain government organisation. Let me pass on a few tips to make both of our lives easier out there.

1.) Avoid the situation in the first place. -If you dont need to go out in adverse conditions, DONT.

2.) Dont tailgate a plow rig. - We have poor visibility to begin with, made worse by the wing rig and dump box behind us. We also tend to use road salt/sand or potassium acetate in the spreaders which is very bad for your car. When the cutting edge of the plow blade passes over the snow, it polishes it and makes it even more slippery. The chemical takes time to bite in and provide more traction. 100m minimum behind us, (Length between 4 telephone poles) please.

3.) Carry road flares. Those little pop up triangles are almost impossible to see. In a white out. If your in the ditch and I cant see you, I cant help you. Road flares burn hot, be careful. When you hear someone approaching, light one up. Buy the good 20 minute burn ones. Most squalls dont last longer then 40m so buy 3. Use two, keep one in case you need to light a fire or build shelter.

4.) Carry an emergency winter kit and build it yourself. Non-perishable food and a way to open it. Lots of warm blankets, water, a small shovel to open your exhaust for heat if your car still runs if you land in the ditch.

5.) IF THE WORST HAPPENS AND YOU GO INTO THE DITCH IN WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS: If there is no injury or threat from fire, REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE. If your vehicle starts or still runs after the ditching, put on hazard lights and high-beams on to full. Set the heater to 'fresh air" Exit the vehicle and clear any snow out and away from the exhaust. Grab your flare kit and set it 5 feet away from your vehicle. Do not loose sight of your vehicle. Get back in and wait for help to come to you.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (11-20-2014),Johnskers (11-20-2014),MetroMPG (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    I had no trouble with my Michelin X-Ice tires, but I found the car's stability control/traction control systems went to work sooner than I've been used to.

Just a note here, if anyone's interested in "Sliding" around corners using the e-brake, turn off stability control first, or else the car will activate the front brake that will counter this slide. As an experienced driver, I find the car slides around corners very predictably when tossing it into a slide, which is easy to do again thanks to the light weight.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-12-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: (copied post from another thread)

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I do feel more relax on the road when driving in deep snow and slippery conditions when I know that I have the stability. It did kick in many times yesterday when I was returning home. We had winds from 80 to 100kmh and 30cm of snow.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-12-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: (copied post from another thread)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    We have had alot of snow up here since mid November. The micra is excellent in the snow with 4 Hercules Avalanche snow tires.(not expensive by any means). We already had 3 thaws making roads very icy and our city doesn't believe in plowing roads well. I even ran it up to the cottage last weekend and it handled the road like a champ. Awesome little car!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Northernmicra For This Useful Post:

SvB (03-24-2017)